TNT: Miso Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Here is how I made my soup:

First dashi:
8 c water
1 sheet kombu
1 c bonito flakes

Slowly bring the water and kombu to an ALMOST boil over medium high heat. Remove, and reserve, the kombu just as the bubbles start to break on the surface. After removing the kombu, add 1 c bonito flakes and bring to a full boil. Remove from the heat completely and let it seep for a few minutes. Drain the liquid through a mesh strainer (I save that liquid to use in place of stock in other dishes) and save the kombu and bonito goodness left in the strainer for round two.

Second dashi:
8 c water + reserved kombu and bonito from above

Heat over medium-low at a bare simmers for about 15 minutes. Strain again through the mesh strainer, discarding the kombu and bonito flakes. Your dashi should be a pale golden color.

I then add cubed tofu, scallions and a generous 1/4 to 1/3 c cup white miso and let it simmer so the miso could melt. I was out of wakame so I added some very finely chopped spinach for an extra boost of color.

Since miso is very much a "to taste" kind of thing I always start out on the lean side and add more as necessary. White miso is less intensely flavored so I used more of that than I would have of my usual yellow or red.

Last edited:
Here is how I made my soup:

First dashi:
8 c water
1 sheet kombu
1 c bonito flakes

Slowly bring the water and kombu to an ALMOST boil over medium high heat. Remove, and reserve, the kombu just as the bubbles start to break on the surface. After removing the kombu, add 1 c bonito flakes and bring to a full boil. Remove from the heat completely and let it seep for a few minutes. Drain the liquid through a mesh strainer (I save that liquid to use in place of stock in other dishes) and save the kombu and bonito goodness left in the strainer for round two.

Second dashi:
8 c water + reserved kombu and bonito from above

Heat over medium-low at a bare simmers for about 15 minutes. Strain again through the mesh strainer, discarding the kombu and bonito flakes. Your dashi should be a pale golden color.

I then add cubed tofu, scallions and a generous 1/4 to 1/3 c cup white miso and let it simmer so the miso could melt. I was out of wakame so I added some very finely chopped spinach for an extra boost of color.

Since miso is very much a "to taste" kind of thing I always start out on the lean side and add more as necessary. White miso is less intensely flavored so I used more of that than I would have of my usual yellow or red.

I think I finally understand First and Second Dashi...thanks!

Spot on, Zereh! I like to think of the first as steeped to be sipped and the second as cooked to be drunk. Spinach is my favorite addition. I'm not feng shway, but red miso does taste better during these warmer months.

Spot on, Zereh! I like to think of the first as steeped to be sipped and the second as cooked to be drunk. Spinach is my favorite addition. I'm not feng shway, but red miso does taste better during these warmer months.

Are there smaller containers of Miso to be had?? I have a pint container of the white Miso, at this rate it will take me two years to use up. With my Sodium restriction, I have to be very light with the miso.

Miso is "nearly" indestructible; it should be fine for at least a year. I'm not speaking from exp though because mine never lasts that long. :angel:

Miso is "nearly" indestructible; it should be fine for at least a year. I'm not speaking from exp though because mine never lasts that long. :angel:

Actually, I was hoping for smaller so I could try the yellow and red, too:ROFLMAO:

And I don't want to use the instant miso.

Miso is sold in squeeze tubes as well as single serve tear packs. Maybe other DCers can educate me otherwise, but a pint of it in the frig for a year is still good to go. It's more important just to try balance salt/sugar/water in a diet, toss out stuff in your frig or pantry that upset it.

Miso is sold in squeeze tubes as well as single serve tear packs. Maybe other DCers can educate me otherwise, but a pint of it in the frig for a year is still good to go. It's more important just to try balance salt/sugar/water in a diet, toss out stuff in your frig or pantry that upset it.

If I tossed out everything I'm not supposed to eat all I would have is the containers left...:LOL:

I'm actually doing very well with the restrictions, but like I said the pint size of the Miso is going to last me a very long, long time. Where have you seen the single serve? I could try to get them here, I have a couple of places that would help me out with ordering.

Back
Top Bottom