Butcher's twine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never use any synthetic twine as it will melt. It is much the same as patching for a muzzle loading weapon. It has to be 100% cotton or the results will be quite ugly.

Can I use ordinary cotton twine to truss a chicken? Or does it have to be a food specific twine?

I did a lot of Googling on this a couple years ago and from what I can tell, all butcher's twine is is cotton string. And even though I had some cotton string, I went out and bought some thinner cotton string... and it sits in my cupboard, not my collect-all drawer :wacko:

Never use any synthetic twine as it will melt. It is much the same as patching for a muzzle loading weapon. It has to be 100% cotton or the results will be quite ugly.

:shock:

Does it just make a mess that needs to be cleaned up or does it damage the muzzle loader?

Or worse? :eek:

It can be bad enough the you will have to replace the barrel. Although, I have only seen that once when a green horn at Rendezvous took a number of shots using some kinda patch and wondered why it was so hard to load.

Where can you buy inexpensive butchers twine?
Butchers twine is not expensive anywhere. The last I bought was at a pricey cookware store. I bought it because it came in a nifty plastic container with a cutter. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Less than bucks. I quickly reverted back to my old ways of cutting the string with a knife.

If you just need it once in a greeat while, just ask your butcher for a couple of wraps around his hand. S/he sould give it to you free fer nuthin.

I got 400 feet of 100% cotton twine for 2 bucks.....enough to last me a lifetime....LOL...

The two whole chickens I did on the rotisserie came out excellent, btw. I dry rubbed them the night before.

I got 400 feet of 100% cotton twine for 2 bucks.....enough to last me a lifetime....LOL...

The two whole chickens I did on the rotisserie came out excellent, btw. I dry rubbed them the night before.

You not only got 400' of cotton twine for 2 bucks... you got 400' of butcher's twine for 2 bucks ;)

Back
Top Bottom