Chili needs something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackcat

Assistant Cook
Hi all, I've made chili for dinner but it seems a little 'harsh'. Not sure what it needs, so I've turned to you for advice.

Hi all, I've made chili for dinner but it seems a little 'harsh'. Not sure what it needs, so I've turned to you for advice.

Can you tell us what you've done so far?...That would give us a better chance at figuring it out:mellow:

This is the recipe I've used, just reduced by half: * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil * 3 medium onions, chopped * 6 garlic cloves, chopped * Coarse salt and ground pepper * 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste * 3 tablespoons chili powder * 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon * 3 pounds ground beef chuck * 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice * 1 bottle (12 ounces) mild lager beer * 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained * Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

How long has it been cooking, chili is a slow simmer dish. What do you mean by "harsh?" Too hot?

The recipe sounds spot on, but a little heavy to me, with Chipotle.

It's been cooking for a little over 2 hours. A little sweetness sounds good, Alix, maybe that's the answer. By harsh, I mean almost like raw chili powder, sorry, can't explain it any better. It's not too hot, we like a bit of spice.

Wow, just added the sugar, what a difference! Now it's got more of the taste I expected. Thank you both very much for your advice. I just knew I'd get help here.

It's been cooking for a little over 2 hours. A little sweetness sounds good, Alix, maybe that's the answer. By harsh, I mean almost like raw chili powder, sorry, can't explain it any better. It's not too hot, we like a bit of spice.

Did you fry your chili powder before adding it? I almost always fry my spices before adding them. I notice that somewhat harsh, raw taste with a number of spices, mostly peppers, if I don't.

Yes, I did fry it first. I'm big on making curries and the spices have to be fried out first, so I applied the same principle to the chili. Good question though. Thanks.

Wow, just added the sugar, what a difference! Now it's got more of the taste I expected. Thank you both very much for your advice. I just knew I'd get help here.

You are welcome. I'm glad Alix thought of the sugar, would have been furthest from my mind.

I wanted to jazz up my usual chili so I went hunting for "secret ingredients" I came up with:

1 heaping tablespoon brown sugar
sprinkle allspice, cloves, ground ginger
teaspoon +/- Liquid Smoke

It gives it a real wow factor.

jennyema said:
If you have any unsweetened chocolate, add a bit of it.

Or unsweetened cocoa powder. Have also used molasses and/or brown sugar. Sometimes ketchup and/or low sodium V8 juice.

Last edited:
FrankZ--adding your chili powder to the oil at the beginning and heating (carefully, you can scorch it) really brings out the flavor of the spices. Then put your onions and meat in to brown.

Store bought chili powder has to cook a while to the harsh "metallic" taste out of it. Also, that might be a bit more chipotle/adobe than you need unless you really like heat. The things I would add is some cumin and some beef stock, but that's just me. Gotta have 1 TBSP cumin per lb of meat.:chef:

I think Alix was right about the sugar it would bring more tomato flavor to the forefront. I agree with Rob on the cumin, I always add it to my chili! Looks like the good folks here at DC already have this one well in hand Blackcat!

I often add a few broken up fresh corn tortillas. it deepens the flavor and thickens the chili a bit.

Back
Top Bottom