Culinary school...YES or NO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

her_name_is_ed

Assistant Cook
Hey Guys,

I am in need of some advice. I am 26 years old, married and currently working about 3 days a week as a private chef. I have wanted to own my own restaurant for just about as long as I can remember. Specifically a deli. Problem is that I know I don't have enough experience working in restaurant, let alone running my own.

For the past year I have been trying to convince my husband that culinary school was the way to go because I would have the experience and connections I needed to get started. He is not up for spending the money and says that most graduates of culinary school never get out of the debt from tuition costs.

I have done some research and I do agree that there seems to be a lot of people saying the same thing. I feel like I am not young enough anymore to "rise up through the ranks" in a restaurant. Being a wife I do not feel like I'd be up to investing all those hours for minimum wage either.

I feel torn. So if anyone has any advice for or against I would appreciate it. Any culinary school grads here? If so how did it work out for you??

Well the culinary program does provide classes in menu planning, budgeting and management. They offer a specific program just for hospitality and restaurant management but I am not as interested in that as I am in just being in the kitchen. The idea would be to go into business with a partner who could handle THAT side of things.

I went to patisserie school in Paris 30+ years ago. I had no real interest in baking professionally. I had prior to that worked in a Bakery in the South of France to fund my stay there.I have never forgotten the training, it will stand you in good stead.
Best of luck you are young enough to chase your dream.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom