Hot smoked Trout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
We a driving to our local fish farm to buy some trout today. I would appreciate some tips on hot smoking the with particular ref to the brine.:)

Oh, trout!!! My favorite fish!!! :chef:

Not many years ago I spent hundreds of dollars on fly fishing equipment, followed by endless hours of learning to cast... all in order to catch a handful of 2-3 lb. trout. It has been worth it!!! :LOL:

I've never heard of hot smoking fish, but I'd like to taste the finished product. :)

I got back a few hours ago, I forgot to take my camera it was really beautifull today. The farm is in a valley about 14 mls from us, the river that feeds it is very clean. My family have been buying trout from Mr Davidson for 40 yrs.
I bought 12 1+ lbs rainbows for about $30, he wacked them and gutted them as I waited.
The BBQ charcoal is nearly ready, I made a simple brine and two of the fish are in it.The smoke will come from pieces of Jack Daniels barrels I bought.
I will take pics and post later:)

I got back a few hours ago, I forgot to take my camera it was really beautifull today. The farm is in a valley about 14 mls from us, the river that feeds it is very clean. My family have been buying trout from Mr Davidson for 40 yrs.
I bought 12 1+ lbs rainbows for about $30, he wacked them and gutted them as I waited.
The BBQ charcoal is nearly ready, I made a simple brine and two of the fish are in it.The smoke will come from pieces of Jack Daniels barrels I bought.
Waiting eagerly to see the finished product, I use to fish with my dad he love fishing and trout were his thing. We use to be able to catch up to 20 then, And manys the time I use to fall asleep on the bank of the stream only to have dad poking me with the end of the rod saying get up and finish fishing we still have to clean and cook these babies:)
kades

Okay here they are, they are for lunch tomorrow so I will skin and prep them in the morning. I will make a horseradish cream to go with them.I tasted a bit its very good but I would say that:) garden & BBQ 001.jpg

garden & BBQ 006.jpg

garden & BBQ 004.jpg

garden & BBQ 008.jpg

Last edited:
Smoked lake trout--yummy. I bought some at the locker plant in MN (and ate it in one sitting). I can hardly wait to go back to MN in August and have more!

When my folks used to go trout fishing, not only did they smoke the trout, but also made pickled trout. I probably have the recipe kicking around here somewhere. If you like pickled herring, you'd like pickled trout.

MOst of the fish smokers around these parts pack the fish in kosher salt and let it sit in the cooler for a day. They then rinse off the extra salt and smoke the fish in alderwood smoke. I'd like to try with maple or apple-wood. I love smoked fish. But trout is asmost too good to smoke. I'd rather smoke salmon.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Beautiful Bolas, brings back many sweet memories for me.
kades

Thanks for the kind comments, I have just skinned them they are very juicy and soft. They broke up as you can see, I think I will try Goodweeds method of dry curing which sold make them more firm.
I ate some of the bits, the flavor is amazing, my wife stopped me eating more as she has decided they will be the starter for a Dinner Party we are having tomorrow night to celebrate the bank holiday Mayday or workers day as it is known in Europe.
I will be grilling a french trimmed rack of lamb and some sausages tonight on the BBQ:)garden & BBQ 048.jpg

garden & BBQ 049.jpg

$2.50 - $3 per pound is quite a reasonable price.
How long a time did you have the fish in your covered grill?

Bolas, you dirty dog! That looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the pix.

Nice job, very nice. Got me jones'n bad.:mad: ;):LOL:

Bolas, you dirty dog! That looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the pix.

Nice job, very nice. Got me jones'n bad.:mad: ;):LOL:

No kidding, I'm going to have to throw Shrek towards the river...he can't come home until he's got some trout.

MOst of the fish smokers around these parts pack the fish in kosher salt and let it sit in the cooler for a day. They then rinse off the extra salt and smoke the fish in alderwood smoke. I'd like to try with maple or apple-wood. I love smoked fish. But trout is asmost too good to smoke. I'd rather smoke salmon.

I dislike fresh trout, but recently found out that cold smoked trout is delicious. I wonder if I would like it hot smoked.

Tax mate if it is either cold smoked wild salmon or trout there is no comparison for me, it beats hot smoked hands down.The welsh lady nat will get good wild Sewyn (sea trout) that cold smoked is nectar.:)

Tied 4 new flies on Saturday, and three yesterday. Looking forward to a weekend where I'm not so insanely busy that I have time to hit a stream.:)

Back
Top Bottom