Salt--what I didn't know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I am now cooking with kosher salt--it has 1/2 the sodium of table salt. The things you learn reading magazines left by others on the train...

Yup, we switched to kosher years ago. Now, like wine, sea salts come in many varieties, you can actually "pair" them with different foods!:D Wonder if there have been any salt tastings?:ohmy:

Craig

I've been using Kosher Salt for a few years now. Most Seasoning Salts are too salty for me. I've been making my own blends.

The reason you sometimes hear people say kosher salt is less salty is because of the shape and size of the crystals. You get less volume of salt per measure. So a tablespoon of table salt has more than a tablespoon of kosher, but if you go by weight they are exactly the same.

The reason you sometimes hear people say kosher salt is less salty is because of the shape and size of the crystals. You get less volume of salt per measure. So a tablespoon of table salt has more than a tablespoon of kosher, but if you go by weight they are exactly the same.

Exactly, what I wanted to say...but haven't had my coffee, yet. I'm still non-verbal:huh:

Notice it took me two posts to get it out right. Post one was coffee one. Post two was coffee two :LOL:

I believe that the size of the salt granule means that a tsp of kosher salt measures differently than a tsp of table salt, therefore, resulting in less sodium per teaspoon because the granules are bigger re: kosher salt.

I believe that the size of the salt granule means that a tsp of kosher salt measures differently than a tsp of table salt, therefore, resulting in less sodium per teaspoon because the granules are bigger re: kosher salt.

Right. But it also depends on which kosher salt you use. Grain sizes are different.

Basically, it doesn't matter which salt you use IF YOU ARE SEASONING TO TASTE! However, if you are seasoning to a recipe measurement, you are right. I prefer to season to taste.

Yes this is true if you measure by volume. If you measure by weight which is much more accurate then a gram is a gram no matter what kind of salt and the sodium amounts will not vary.

Back
Top Bottom