Low Carbs Diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

et81121

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a good easter.

I'm trying to reduce my body fat % and so going on a low carbs diet.

Anyone have any ideas on recipes or sites that have recipes on low carbs meals?

Cheers,

T

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a good easter.

I'm trying to reduce my body fat % and so going on a low carbs diet.

Anyone have any ideas on recipes or sites that have recipes on low carbs meals?

Cheers,

T
A excellent pizza to make on a low carb diet is to use a portabella mushroom for the crust. Top with all your favorite meats & vegetables. A good web site for lo-carb recipies is atkins.com

This is just the thread I'm needing too. I started on a low carb/low sugar diet and have lost 10 lbs, but it's getting kinda boring...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Wish I could help you with that.
My husband was and kind of still is on the Atkins diet. He bought both the book and the cookbook. He lost over 20 pounds. He had the book. I had the recipes to help him along. No carbs for him was no flour, sugar, it's Splenda now. Lot of Meat, Eggs, Salads. Any kind of dressing he wanted.
That's as far as we got.That must have been some book.
Just when we were getting to the best part,he took it to work read it when he got the chance to. A relief Employee, not one of the usual's ripped it off one night.

He has a new one on the way.

i am leery of these diets that are all or nothing. no one can live that way on a permanent basis. not only would be boring but i don't believe it can be healthy. i am counting calories so i can have a bit of everything, just have to include in that days count. my daughter in law has been on many of them. jenny craig. weight watchers, adkins and lately medifast. she has always gained it all back. we shall see what happens after this last one,. with each she became obsessed with food. not a healthy thing. that's just me.

Niether Atkins nor South Beach insist that you do without any food group forever. Using the South Beach Diet as an example, the first two weeks, or Phase 1, you cut way back on carbs, like less than 10%. The second phase, which lasts until you reach your goal weight, brings back some carbs, increasing your intake to around 27%, but these would be complex carbs, not simple carbs. Once you have reached your goal weight, you move on to phase 3, which is a maintenance program, a healthy way to eat for the rest of your life. I myself try to follow a 40/30/30 diet, with 40% protein, 30% complex carbs, and 30% fat, but then I do a lot of exercising, which is not mandatory with either Atkins or South Beach, so I can still put sugar in my coffee and have a slice of Entenmann's coffee cake or a doughnut once in a while.

i am leery of these diets that are all or nothing. no one can live that way on a permanent basis. not only would be boring but i don't believe it can be healthy. i am counting calories so i can have a bit of everything, just have to include in that days count. my daughter in law has been on many of them. jenny craig. weight watchers, adkins and lately medifast. she has always gained it all back. we shall see what happens after this last one,. with each she became obsessed with food. not a healthy thing. that's just me.
I believe it's all about a well balanced diet with plenty of water & exercise.

Niether Atkins nor South Beach insist that you do without any food group forever. Using the South Beach Diet as an example, the first two weeks, or Phase 1, you cut way back on carbs, like less than 10%. The second phase, which lasts until you reach your goal weight, brings back some carbs, increasing your intake to around 27%, but these would be complex carbs, not simple carbs. Once you have reached your goal weight, you move on to phase 3, which is a maintenance program, a healthy way to eat for the rest of your life. I myself try to follow a 40/30/30 diet, with 40% protein, 30% complex carbs, and 30% fat, but then I do a lot of exercising, which is not mandatory with either Atkins or South Beach, so I can still put sugar in my coffee and have a slice of Entenmann's coffee cake or a doughnut once in a while.

Agreed. You can eat a healthy, balanced diet while eating low carb.

I lost 65 pounds in about a year and a half with Atkins. I didn't find it boring.

Some type II diabetics who go on low carb diets can stop taking insulin.

I've been prone to weight gain my whole life but recently I have managed to keep my weight down, my top tips are-

> Eat a healthy breakfast as early as possible
> Drink plenty of fluids, less tea coffee or pop
>Then eat little and often with plenty of healthy snacks
> Replace extra carbs with protein ie fish meat eggs

It doesn't hurt to have a treat once in a while, or I find I give up. I'm also finding that I eat more when on a diet, but its far healthier and well balanced. Good luck!
:)

yeah, I agree, certainly a diet too low in carbs in not ideal and probably won't last a life time and once you start eating more carbs you would more likely gain the weight all back and even at a faster rate. I think it should be more like 'moderate-carbs (100-125g/day?)' rather than 'low/no carbs (<100g/day)' and shift the requirement for food to lean protein and fruit&veg.

Any thoughts?

The number of carbohydrates and the type of calories that someone should take in on a daily basis depends on the reason.

Are you just losing weight?
Are you maintaining your current weight?
Are you making a life-style change due to a health condition? A heart problem or diabetes can make a significant difference.

Since I have diabetes, my approach to my daily carbohydrates is different than my friend's, who is losing five pounds after recently eating out too often.

I personally don't believe in low-carb diets either, but that's not really what you asked. You asked for some recipes/ideas.

If I've had my fair share of grains for the day and am looking for a more protein & veggie based meal to balance things out for the day, here are some of my favorite meals:

Lettuce wraps. You can fill romaine leaves them with anything you'd put in a sandwich, or, preferably, get even more creative. A couple of my favorite combos: Cucumbers and Beef (leftover steak works great) with sauteed bean sprouts, mushrooms, snow peas, and onions, topped with either soy sauce or A1; Chicken with raw bean sprouts, a tiny bit of shredded carrot, cucumber, and sesame seeds, again with soy sauce, or a small amount of an asian style dressing (watch for sugar content in them, though)

Stir fries-whatever veggies you love with your favorite meat, just don't serve it with rice

Fritattas. Take leftover veggies, or chop some fresh (asparagus or spinach, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, whatever you'd like) throw them in a small frying pan, either to reheat or to sautee, seasoning with salt and pepper, spread them evenly over the bottom of the pan, then add a couple of beaten eggs. Either put a lid on top or flip halfway through, and top with some fresh-grated cheese.

Veggies with Hummus, either traditional or white bean. Great for a salty snack craving- crunch, salt, and much lower in carbohydrates (not to mention fat) than chips & dip

These are just a few of my favorites. Often "low carb" dishes take something you want (bread, pasta, etc) and replace them with something you don't really want (a limp leaf of lettuce or veggie substitute). When you're finished, it was pretty good, but it kind of just made you want the real thing even more. I like the first 3 I suggested especially because they don't feel like substitutions for what I really want, they're a full dish all on their own.

Pasta sauce served on spaghetti squash.

I've heard of mashed cauliflower used as a substitute for mashed potatoes. I never tried it, because I don't like my cauliflower cooked until soft. Sorry, I don't have the recipe.

We also made lasagna using pepperoni instead of lasagna noodles. That was quite yummy.

Back
Top Bottom