Cow slip buds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
My dad was a E. Gibbons fan when I was growing up...we ate cattail roots, drank sumac tea, harvested morell mushrooms, etc. When we were in WI for Easter, the cow slips were developing their buds. The closed pod is peppery in taste. He picked a bunch of them for us to add to the watercress salad. A substitute for capers. I know I have cow slip plants in the bush--I'm going out tomorrow to check for buds. I think I should be able to pickle them the same way I do nasturium pods. Anyone have experience doing this (pickling cow slip buds)?

Weren't cowslips a singing group many years ago?

That was the Cowsills.

My grandmother used to pick the leaves of cowslips on the sides of streams and in wet ditches when My Grandpa, my Dad, & I were hitting the trout streams. She'd take them home and boil them up as greens. I've never picked the buds, but as the plant flowers throughout spring and summer, I'd think you could find the buds all through the growing season. I think fiddleheads should be about ready to be harvested though.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Gibbons would have tossed the cowslip buds in a dill crock. The fiddleheads are great steamed with hollandaise sauce.

CWS, you aren't one of my boys, are you?

My kids wouldn't eat a vegetable from the garden to save their lives--but pick something out in the woods, and they loved it! Day lily buds were one of their favorites--just saute in a little butter til they are tender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom