What can I do with leftover chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jase

Assistant Cook
I frequently make chicken stock by cutting up and boiling a whole chicken. After having done this several times I'm running out of ways to use resulting chicken that we're not bored of. So far I've made chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup with shredded chicken in it, tacos, chicken pot pie (a great use, by the way), hot sandwiches and I think that's about it.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Another angle from which to approach this, of course, is to use certain cuts separately in the first place rather than boiling everything. I'll probably do this more in the future but right now I have a whole cooked chicken that I don't know what to do with.

Thanks!

I frequently make chicken stock by cutting up and boiling a whole chicken. After having done this several times I'm running out of ways to use resulting chicken that we're not bored of. So far I've made chicken noodle soup, tortilla soup with shredded chicken in it, tacos, chicken pot pie (a great use, by the way), hot sandwiches and I think that's about it.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Another angle from which to approach this, of course, is to use certain cuts separately in the first place rather than boiling everything. I'll probably do this more in the future but right now I have a whole cooked chicken that I don't know what to do with.

Thanks!

Strip the meat from the bones and package in dinner size baggies and freeze for later.

Since I buy chicken leg quarters in 10# bags, I separate the drumsticks and thighs and bag them separately.

When I want to make broth, I use one chicken thigh and cook the broth only long enough to cook the chicken. Don't overcook the meat. If you wish, you can return the stripped bones to the broth and continue to cook it down for stock.:chef:

Brunswick stew is a hearty dish. Chicken salad is another option. Use it in Alfredo sauce over pasta. Chicken and dumplings. Any recipe that calls for cooked cubed chicken you can sub the shredded chicken.

I second the quesadillas.
Also, Chicken Caesar Salad or Chef's Salad or Pasta Salad, Chicken Souvlaki Salad, Chicken Pita Sandwiches, Chicken Lo Mein, Chicken Fried Rice...

+1 on freezing it for later. Shred it, portion it out, then take it out when you are craving something with chicken, like Chimichitos! (a favorite), or nachos, or a sandwich with lettuce and mayo, or chilaquiles, or chicken salad, or chicken noodle soup, or a chicken melt,...

Gumbo!

Mix it 50/50 with turkey and run it through a meat grinder to make a ground up product that you can fashion into things such as hamburger patties, meatloaf, or chicken/turkey sausage. It would be low fat.

Chicken can be substituted for any beef or pork recipe. chili, tacos, enchiladas, goulash, spaghetti, etc. It's a nice change.

It can be added to fried rice,noodles,or any other form of pasta,chicken cutlets can be a very tasty option and an easy one too.Use it in pizza,chicken wraps,sandwiches etc!

what about buffalo chicken dip? i posted a recipe many years ago for it but can't seem to find it.

i think it was credited to me but was really a recipe from someone named bonnie in new england.

There are some good suggestions here. Thanks, everyone!

I just made some homemade Chicken Tamales ,they were delicious & better for us that pork. I also make a casserole of chicken, cream of chicken soup, cheese & stuffing (from a box ,Mix as directions say) it is quick & delicious. Just mix it all together & heat in the oven,then top with more cheese to melt if desired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom