Smoked Half Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
Does a fresh smoked pork butt need to be cooked or just heated through. The package say to slow cook to internal temp of 148 deg F. I was going to make some ham salad out of part of it by chucking some of it in the food processor but now I'm wondering if I need to cook it first.

Does a fresh smoked pork butt need to be cooked or just heated through. The package say to slow cook to internal temp of 148 deg F. I was going to make some ham salad out of part of it by chucking some of it in the food processor but now I'm wondering if I need to cook it first.

I believe that most foods that are fully cooked will indicate that fact on the packaging. If the directions don't indicate that they are for re-heating, I would consider it to be not fully cooked.

Craig

Slow cooking to an internal temperature of 148º F is cooking the butt. So you have to cook the whole piece as directed then cut it up for your salad.

However, since it's a fresh smoked butt, it's not a ham because it's not cured, so it won't make ham salad.

Back
Top Bottom