Birthday Cake Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apugh91

Assistant Cook
So this is a very, very special occasion. My girlfriend is moving to my state today and we will see each other in a week for the first time in over a year. Which is glorious in and of itself. But most importantly, I need to make her a birthday cake. I want to do a vertical layer cake. Her favorite colors are purple and turquoise, so the layer colors are decided. But what should I do for the icing?

Note: I can make delicious tasting cakes but decorating isn't my strong point, but I have a week to practice and make this look beautiful.

Ideas so far:
Roses, mist them with purple or color the icing to match the interior
Dots, make the base coat purple and turquoise dots/rainbow dots of icing on top

If anyone has any tips on how to make this easier or any really good icing recipes, do say. And if you have any ideas for how to decorate this cake to make it splendiforous, please elaborate.

Oh, also, what flavors do you think would work for this? I was thinking doing red velvet but with different colors obviously.

Last edited:
What a cool cake!

My family always asks for my Triple Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake. It's not that pretty, just sinfully delicious. It's on here someplace...just Google it if you want.

Last edited:
Simplicity can sometimes be the biggest wow factor when it comes to cakes. I love your idea of the coloured layers and the example that letscook gave. If you are able to do a very smooth buttercream on the outside then I would say your idea of the rainbow dots would be awesome, with just a plain (not star) piped border on the bottom. Just use a #2 or 3 tip for your dots and randomly do each colour - but don't over do it. Roses are nice, but here your wow factor is the inside of the cake. I am sure she will love the fact that you did this for her! The more you try to do outside your comfort zone in a week, the more chance you may not be happy with it and for you (not her) it will take away from the special occasion.

If you can, show pictures when you are done!

Oooo, I like the border idea. Thanks :D :D I'm excited to make it. I love having a new project to plan.

I've had thoughts about that rainbow cake in my head all morning. I'm not normally a cake baker. I prefer pies, tarts and bread, but that cake is just so cool I might have to give it a try! My only problem with it, is that's it's a shame to have to cover up the outside with frosting! :LOL:

My only problem with it, is that's it's a shame to have to cover up the outside with frosting! :LOL:

Yes, but just think, if you cover it up with some plain frosting job how much more of a WOW!!!! you will get from family and friends when you cut into it! :mrgreen:

It reminds me of a BBQ I went to at my friend's house when I was in high school. Her Dad asked what everyone wanted on their burgers long before they made it to the grill. When I got mine all I found in my bun was a thick pattie - no onions, chedder, mayo or mushrooms as requested. But I also didn't see condiments around to do it yourself so I just took a bite. Inside was everything I asked for in the tastiest burger I have ever eaten in my life! That's what this cake reminds me of!

I make a rainbow cake regularly, and I just cover it with plain butter icing. Everytime a new person sees it there is guaranteed to be a 'WOW' from the people who see it when it gets cut.

The beauty of it is that it looks like any other cake or gateaux on the outside and then in all colourful inside! :D

Yes, but just think, if you cover it up with some plain frosting job how much more of a WOW!!!! you will get from family and friends when you cut into it!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think you're the one being psychic now. :)

Oh wow that burger idea sounds great too. I get so enthused over new cooking projects. >.<

I think the rainbow cake sounds good. If you look at the I Am Baker blog, she has a tutorial on decorating a cake with rose swirls which looks really effective and is simple.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom