Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   BBQ & Smokin' Meats (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/)
-   -   Hot smoked Mackerel, Sea Bass and Trout (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/hot-smoked-mackerel-sea-bass-and-trout-72135.html)

Bolas De Fraile 05-08-2011 10:03 AM

Hot smoked Mackerel, Sea Bass and Trout

3 Attachment(s)
These are for dinner tonight, I am just letting them cool so I can peel and bone them later. I used a simple brine as I forgot to dry salt them last night as Goodweed suggested.
Attachment 10789

Attachment 10790

Attachment 10791

taxlady 05-08-2011 11:58 AM

Does hot smoking make the food taste like cold smoked, only cooked?

I'm trying to understand the design of your BBQ. Have I got this right? The grate/basket that holds the food rotates sort of like a gimbal when the lid goes up or down?

Dawgluver 05-08-2011 12:03 PM

OMG, those look fantastic! Drool rag, please.

forty_caliber 05-08-2011 01:41 PM

Looks great!!!!

PrincessFiona60 05-08-2011 02:00 PM

Yum...that looks fantastic...want smoked fishes!

West Texan 05-08-2011 02:22 PM

Looks awesome, haven't done a lot of fish here. Just once I tried cedar plank smoked salmon.

Bolas De Fraile 05-09-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 997393)
Does hot smoking make the food taste like cold smoked, only cooked?

I'm trying to understand the design of your BBQ. Have I got this right? The grate/basket that holds the food rotates sort of like a gimbal when the lid goes up or down?

To a degree Tax yes to me it does the texture is different.
Yes that's how the lid works.
I am trying to find out where and when I can buy some eels to smoke, hot smoked eel is the best of all.:smile:

Bolas De Fraile 05-09-2011 01:52 AM

Thanks for the kind comments, the flavor of the sea bass was incredible.
We ate all the fish last night with a good salad some lancashire "black" new potatoes and good bread, I had my first alcohol for 14 weeks with it and pint of cold dry cider:smile:
West Tex would you be so kind as to explain the salmon on wood method, I can obviously google it but would prefer a hands on explanation so I can avoid the pit falls:smile:
Tonight if the weather holds its a whole chicken.

buckytom 05-09-2011 03:38 AM

wow, bolas. those look incredible. i'm going to be trying smoked trout soon. did you use a brine?

i can't speak for our texas bros, but wood plank grilled, often cedar or alder wood, is sort of what it sounds like.

you put the fish on a plank of the desired wood that is a good bit larger than the fish. it'placed over hot coals so the plank burns and smokes, giving flavour to the fish resting upon it but not actually burning the fish.
by closing the lid, the hot smoke circulates and cooks the fish via the ambient temps.

Selkie 05-09-2011 06:34 AM

I am so jealous of your smoked trout!!! Drool!!!! :mrgreen: