Turkish Red Pepper Paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
In Turkish this is called Biber Salçası. If anyone is familiar with this, I'm wondering what others' thoughts are. I use the less spicy red pepper paste mostly, but really haven't expanded its use beyond just the Turkish and Armenian dishes I cook. (Dh is an Armenian from Istanbul, Turkey, so these are authentic dishes that have been passed on from his family.)

I was thinking about using it in wet rubs like I use paprika for dry rubs, which makes sense.

I do use it in some pilafs (rice and bulghur wheat).

I think it would work well in Mexican or Tex-Mex, too but haven't really thought about exactly where.

I'd like to use it in sauces, but again can't think of specific examples at this point.

There is also a hot version.

The consistency is the same as a European double-concentrated tomato paste in the tube (so a little thicker than American tomato paste in the can).

Any thoughts or ideas of where to use this? I'm usually pretty good about being creative in the kitchen, but just haven't come up with great ideas for this food. Specific dishes would be great. TIA!

The Turks introduced it to the Balkans where it is called Ajvar, the Serbs have a saying "life without Ajvar is life without Freedom" we make our own as you cannot buy it in the UK.:)

You could use it as a component of chili.

I was raised in an Armenian household but we never used this stuff that I remember. I don't remember a lot of chili pepper based stuff in our home. I guess mom didn't care for it.

Mix a little into mayo for a spicy aioli? Then use the aioli as a dipping sauce for tempura veggies. (and try not to have a heart attack after;)) Add some to stew or any lentil dish that could use extra heat. My first thought you already listed, the wet rub. Ever make stir-fries? If you use a slurry you could mix some into your slurry before adding it to the veggies. Might add it to curry. I think it would make a great addition to penang.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom