tilapia fillet - How should I do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaironxxrd

Assistant Cook
Hello Guys I'm glad to join this forum because of some interesting topics which I saw and got me into the art of cooking.

Well thing is here in my house my family cooks not me so I want to learn how to do it on my own since soon I will be starting college life.

I have a tilapia fillet and some seasonings which are commonly founded at every kitchen.. But I'm not sure if everyone uses those since I come from a Spanish (Caribbean ) family .

So the question is How should I cook a tilapia fillet?

What seasonings what kind of pan what ways with rice , or vegetables .. etc you guys know what I'm talking about i think... :huh:

Good on you to realize that you will need to expand your cooking skills quite a bit in the coming years.

An easy way to start out imho, is to use a few of those ready-made seasonings that can be used on a variety of meats and meals. If you have a grocery store that sells in "bulk", even better.

Montreal Steak spice is very versatile, and for your current dilemma the tilapia can be used with a standard lemon pepper seasoning, which is great for a mild white fish.

Welcome to DC! Deep fry that fish in a batter or in a fry pan. I'd stick to simple k.salt and blk pepper, and stock up on ramen noodles. Go cheap and save your money for beer and the 2am pizza slice(s).:LOL:

Welcome to DC! Deep fry that fish in a batter or in a fry pan. I'd stick to simple k.salt and blk pepper, and stock up on ramen noodles. Go cheap and save your money for beer and the 2am pizza slice(s).:LOL:

To young to buy beer here haha.

Good on you to realize that you will need to expand your cooking skills quite a bit in the coming years.

An easy way to start out imho, is to use a few of those ready-made seasonings that can be used on a variety of meats and meals. If you have a grocery store that sells in "bulk", even better.

Montreal Steak spice is very versatile, and for your current dilemma the tilapia can be used with a standard lemon pepper seasoning, which is great for a mild white fish.

Thanks for the opinion looks great btw I want to list things I have that can help me to get a better view of seasonings and how to use them here they are.

Parsley flakes, complete seasoning ( combination of ingredient and spices), Montreal steak seasoning, Lemon & pepper seasoning salt, Montreal chicken seasoning, Original blend seasoning salt free, and adobo ( all purpose seasoning).

For what you said I guess I could use the montreal seasoning and lemon & pepper showered in lemon juice, and I guess to make it use olive oil on the pan?

Make a sofrito and cook the fish in it. Serve with pigeon peas and rice. Maybe some tostones as a side.

Craig

Make a sofrito and cook the fish in it. Serve with pigeon peas and rice. Maybe some tostones as a side.

Craig

How do you exactly make the sofrito my mom makes it but I have never paid attention to it in the pass... though I know how to make tostones.

I put salt and pepper on it, top it with crushed cracker crumbs and dot it with butter, pop it in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

The wonderful thing about tilapia is that it is a very mild fish and, similar to tofu, it will accept whatever seasonings of flavorings you give it and make them it's own. My favorite is to marinade tilapia filets in Kung Pao marinade for about 30 minutes, then sauté them in peanut oil for 2 to 4 minutes a side, depending on the thickness of the filet. I'll then serve it with Kung Pao sauce, rice, and a mix of Asian style vegetables.

Kung Pao Tilapia

Marinade:
1 1/2 pounds tilapia
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

Sauce:
2 Tbs peanut oil
4 dried red chiles, cracked
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1/2 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp pepper
2 scallions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs rice wine or sherry
2 Tbs Chinese black (or balsamic) vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water
1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts

Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine/sherry, egg and salt in a glass bowl. Add the fish and stir to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes, covered, in the refrigerator.

Place peanut oil in a sauté pan, swirl to coat, then place over medium high heat. Add the chilies and cook until they begin to darken. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and continue to cook to infuse the oil. Add the scallions and bell pepper. Remove the fish from the marinade, pat dry with paper towel, then add it to the pan. sauté until cooked through, turning once. Remove the fish from the pan. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, black vinegar, sugar and chicken broth. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce and stir to thicken. Add the fish and heat through. Plate tilapia filets, rice, and vegetables, pour pan sauce over filets and rice, and garnish the tilapia with peanuts.

Last edited:
How do you exactly make the sofrito my mom makes it but I have never paid attention to it in the pass... though I know how to make tostones.

Which direction do you want to go? Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican perhaps? Many similar ingredients in all, but a few differences.

Craig

Which direction do you want to go? Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican perhaps? Many similar ingredients in all, but a few differences.

Craig

Im from the Dominican republic So I would love to learn a bit of that.

Here is one I found in a google search. There are other variations, but this looked good. Why not ask your mother for her recipe?

Ingredients:
•2 red onions (peeled and diced)
•2 large green bell pepper (seeds removed and diced)
•1 head of garlic (cloves peeled and minced)
•1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimentos (drained)
•1 can (8 ounces) tomatoe sauce
•1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
•1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
•1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
•1 tablespoon ground annatto (a.k.a. achiote)
Preparation:
1.Chop and blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
2.Place the mixture in a glass jar with a tight lid. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

If you want spicy, add a habenero or two (stems, viens and seeds removed).

Craig

Back
Top Bottom