Banana Nut Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I got this recipe from Mama, a member here. I don't know if it's her recipe or she found it somewhere, but if the copyright police come along, send then to Georgia :LOL:

Banana Nut Ice Cream 1.5 qts

3/4c + 3TBS milk
3 egg yolks
3TBS white sugar
3TBS brown sugar
3/4c + 3TBS heavy cream
2 medium over-ripe bananas
1/2tsp vanilla
1/4c + 2TBS chopped walnuts

Whisk together the egg yolks and sugars in a medium bowl and set aside.
In a medium pot heat the milk until it begins to bubble around the edges (this is called scalding).
Pour half of the milk into the egg yolk/sugars mixture while stirring.
Transfer back to pot and stir.
Reheat until bubbles start to form around the edges and pour back into the bowl. (it's pretty bubbly already, so I just heat it up a bit)
Mash or puree the bananas and add to the mixture in bowl.
Mix in 1/2tsp vanilla.
Mix well, cover and refrigerate until cold, 3-4 hours.

From here, follow the directions for making ice cream with your ice cream maker. Mine, I run for 15 minutes, add the nuts, then another 5 minutes.

Addendum:

This is an update to the above recipe.
In another thread, justplainbill relayed some information he had heard; To produce a creamy ice cream you need a minimum of 1/2c of sugar per qt, he said the sugar acted as an anti-freeze of sorts, so I doubled the above sugars to 6 TBS ea of brown and white sugar. The results were outstanding :chef:
This was always a good ice cream, but it was also a very hard ice cream. It was even hard to get out of the container. Increasing the sugar content instantly turned this into a creamy textured ice cream, not soft-serve, just an incredibly creamy texture. And it really doesn't taste all that much sweeter.

I'm gonna have to give this a try Pacanis! Thanks! I'm always looking for ways to improve things.

Hi Mama!
I think you'll really love it. I can even get it all out of the freezer bowl, rather than having that layer frozen to the sides I mentioned before. I'd be interested in hearing your comments next time you make it.

Hi Pacanis! I've got to make a couple of cakes for a surprise birthday party for DD tomorrow so I'm gonna be kinda busy this weekend but I should be able to get around to it come monday. I don't think it will go very well with a lemon cake or a red velvet trifle so I don't think I'll make it for the party :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom