Cooking Lamb shank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

consultant44

Assistant Cook
Hi there,

I have this Braised lamb shanks with crushed herb potatoes recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

2 Questions:

1) In the first step it says "Put in the lamb shanks and brown all over." What does it mean by brown all over, with sauce?

2) In the second step it says. "Cover, put in the oven and cook for 21/2 hours until the meat is almost falling off the bone."
I'll put in the oven for 2hours, but what does the 21 signify?

put a little oil in the pan and brown the meat over high heat (or put in the oven and roast for about 45 min. ) until the object is nicely browned. then add some liquid to the shanks (broth, wine or both) , cover the pot and put in the oven to braise for two and one half hours. Oven temp should be at the 350F range.

Hi there,

I have this Braised lamb shanks with crushed herb potatoes recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

2 Questions:

1) In the first step it says "Put in the lamb shanks and brown all over." What does it mean by brown all over, with sauce?

2) In the second step it says. "Cover, put in the oven and cook for 21/2 hours until the meat is almost falling off the bone."
I'll put in the oven for 2hours, but what does the 21 signify?

Brown the shanks in a little oil, just as you would a roast or stew meat.

21/2 should have read 2 1/2 or two and one half hours.

@ Zhizara & Robo410, thanks for the advice. I am from the uk, your site came up first when googling cooking forums, so I joined up.

BBC is the UK's equivalent of the US's PBS, so mostly trustworthy.
I think what threw us off, consultant44, is that we rarely get a new member who asks such a basic question as, "how to brown meat." I like deeply flavored braised lamb, I hope yours turned out great. We're all happy to help here at DC. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom