Duck confit: how long to cook it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdkrone

Assistant Cook
I have made duck confit a few times, mainly following Judy Rogers Zuni Cafe cookbook recipe as well as Buchon's cookbook and Michael Ruhlman's online post as guides (How To Make Duck Confit <br/>Fall Is Here, Time to Preserve Duck! | Michael Ruhlman). What I have found confusing is that these sources are very diverse on the time---Judy says 1 1/2-2 hours (about 200 degrees) and Ruhlman, Emeril, Thomas Keller all fall on the side of 12 hours (about the same temp).

Using Judy Rogers shorter time, and using a tip from somewhere online about checking with a bamboo skewer (when it can be inserted without resistance, the duck is finished), I have found a very satisfactory product/ On the other hand, if cooking for a much longer time results in even more wonderful results (and doesn't result in a product that falls apart when trying to crisp it after a few months in the fridge), I would be delighted to do that. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is no reason. I find it very curious that there is such a disparity in the times...

Thanks
Ken K

Last edited:
I've done it once or twice and never as long as 10-12 hours. More like 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

However, you never know. I guess you should try the same recipe except cook it for 10-12 hours and see if there is a difference.

"I guess you should try the same recipe except cook it for 10-12 hours and see if there is a difference."

Were it not for the expense and time, I would do just that, but if someone else has tried it, I am more than willing to listen to the experience.

Thanks
KK

"I guess you should try the same recipe except cook it for 10-12 hours and see if there is a difference."

Were it not for the expense and time, I would do just that, but if someone else has tried it, I am more than willing to listen to the experience.

Thanks
KK

I agree. But if no one has that experience, you are left with the other option.

Agreed. But I only posted this an hour ago, so let's see what gets posted.

The other experiment in my mind is to make batches at one-month intervals for 4-5 months, then taste them after the last batch to compare. Our experience has been that after 1-2 months the confit "seems" to be better, but perhaps that is because it is always so good. One thing I have noticed is that no restaurant's confit seems to be as good as ours, and my assumption is that commercially it makes no financial sense to age it, so I suspect most "confit" is just duck cooked in duck fat and served within a week or so. The texture just doesn't seem to be there...

I am not sure what happens in that subsequent number of weeks that helps confit "age"--any thoughts??

Cheers
Ken

Just followup for anyone who may stumble on this thread. I think one thing that I did not take into consideration was the temperature of each recipe. For example, Ruhlman likes tomkeep the temperTure about 180 degrees and Judy Rogers likes 203-205. The doesn't seem like a huge difference, but I do recall from chemistry that chemical reaction rates generally double every 10 degrees Centigrade (18 degrees Fahrenheit). My experience is that I like the compromise between cooking the duck for about 5-6 hours at 200 degrees or so. This results in tender meat, but not so tender that it falls apart when served ( we like to serve it with crisped skin as one piece). Cheers, all!

I only confit duck legs, I put then in a vacpak bag with duck fat and any herbs I fancy seal then I put them in a water filled slow cooker for about 10 hrs.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom