It's the Little Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selkie

Executive Chef
Yesterday, as I opened the package to my latest on-line purchase, a fine point fountain pen to add to my small collection, I couldn't help but reflect on how many little things out of the ordinary in function or design I have or use that bring me a smile and pleasure. It's not that I have a lot of "things," but many of the everyday items I do use are... different. For instance, the letter opener has an embroidered handle and it rests in a small brass pitcher along with the scissors and loose pens and pencils. My silverware chest is nearly empty because it's contents are in the kitchen drawer for everyday use. A water cup kept on my desk is in the shape of a Hawaiian Tiki Totem Pole, and the one in the bathroom is hand painted oriental porcelain. My journal is leather bound, and as I said earlier, I write using a fountain pen. These are just a very few examples of eclectic items that grace my life by helping remove my life style from the ordinary.

Now, I realize that not everyone expresses their uniqueness in the same way and I try not to be judgmental, but those of us who have a skewed mind... often also have a creativeness and perhaps even a compulsion to be different in many respects. We look for that quality in others... kindred spirits, I suppose. I certainly don't want to be viewed as "ordinary." That would be the greatest insult! :LOL:

Do you express your uniqueness?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I do too. One of the things I like about starting over is adding those unique items.

A comforter has turned into a decorative cover for an old ugly recliner, the matching sham is now a folded in half stuffed with an old flat pillow, also folded in half for a comfortable back cushion.

A pretty, straight sided flower pot is used in the kitchen as a place for short handled tools such as the meat thermometer, peelers, marker for freezer containers, pens and 3x5 cards.

I crocheted a bunch of sunflowers with coffee colored centers and bright yellow petals, and use them as coasters for beverages or plants. Someday I'll make a sunflower cap.

I like rotating plants, decorative items, colors so that it's fresh and interesting every day. Little changes that evolve into bigger changes.

I've always "danced to a different drummer" when it comes to my surroundings. I find unusual uses for ordinary items. For example, I have a miniature (about 12 inches tall) wrought metal gazing ball stand. It's very graceful and I like its color, so I turned it into a stand for a silk flower arrangement that sits on a glass table in our living room.

Many years ago I found a beautiful wall-mounted garden hose holder that was just too pretty to hold something as simple as a hose. That became the "cradle" for our front door silk flower arrangement. The holder is scroll-like and has the most wonderful verdigris patina. I just couldn't put a hose on it.

I've turned, what I deem as, unique table napkins into pillow covers for our sofa. Used an old child's chair as a small table in one of the bedrooms and I search for unusual china and silver for display and table use.

I've also been a "collector" all my life and have accumulated quite an array of different (some may say strange) objects I hang on our walls as art. One of my favorites is a beautiful needlepoint glasses case that is matted and framed and hangs on a wall in the living room. The case was never sewed together, so the "art" appears to be something it's not. It's gorgeous and I bought it for 50 cents at a yard sale.

I spent most of my working life as a decorator and designer, which allowed me to have great fun with my quirky sense of design for my clients. No one ever complained. Now that I'm retired, I do it with abandon for us.

However we express ourselves, I think everyone does what they are the most comfortable with and what makes them happy, however elegant, eclectic, or simple it may be. And, thank goodness, we're all different.

I am kinda into creating pieces of art that are meant for every day use; like pot holders, place mats, table runners, table cloths and matching napkins, Christmas tree skirts, aprons, baby blankets. I feel better picking up a stunning pot holder rather than a cheap one bought somewhere. And I also use family heirlooms and don't keep them stored away.

Hmmm..and here I was, all set to say that I express my uniqueness with my coffee cup collection.......:LOL:
Not really... However, I do have numerous coffee cups and such that were gifts from various and assorted friends, neighbors and loved ones that were brought tor me from far and away places that I will likely never have the opportunity to visit. and frankly, I wouldn't trade them for gold.
I appreciate what is intended by the original post...just goes to show that everyone has different views and opinions and as such, it is what makes the world such an interesting place.

Every day I leave home for work I am dressed appropriately as a nurse, white shoes, printed top with matching pants. Hair back, plain nails and no makeup or perfume. Just don't look at my socks. Anything from Hello Kitty to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Nothing in my home matches, furniture is selected for comfort, not looks. I tend to buy my dishes one or two pieces at a time, so maybe something will match...depends on my mood. Shrek and I have favorite dishes we like to eat from and flatware is different, too. We often eat the same meal on apparently mis-matched plates...nope just our favorites. I drink my coffee from a laboratory beaker...

Now about those coffee cups!

I had to go count mine and I have 67 of them on display in my sanctuary. They all have meaning and some of them have value.

I understand what you mean though and I am very much the same. I collect many things and I am always curious about how people react to my things and to my surroundings. I can tell alot about people from those reactions.

I am the youngest in my family and I think the collecting trait is common among the youngest. Maybe it is due to all of those hand me downs.

Now about those coffee cups!

I had to go count mine and I have 67 of them on display in my sanctuary. They all have meaning and some of them have value.

I understand what you mean though and I am very much the same. I collect many things and I am always curious about how people react to my things and to my surroundings. I can tell alot about people from those reactions.

I am the youngest in my family and I think the collecting trait is common among the youngest. Maybe it is due to all of those hand me downs.

No offense intended.

Would you like some more? :rolleyes: (Just teasing!) My ex- left a box of them in the basement. I couldn't even give them away during my last yard sale. :LOL: But then, most of them hold no meaning for me except a few that represent worthless holiday gifts from managers who charged them off to the company as advertising. Can we all say, "Thoughtless and cheap!?"

Like you, I also have a few modest collections that sometimes draw attention. Books, oil lamps and antique cameras are the most obvious.

Last edited:
I am not offended and if any of the coffee cups are made by Syracuse china send them along!

Most people get a kick out of my collections. The only one that gets annoyed is the mail carrier. It seems like he is always lugging a package up the stairs.

my house has some different items, hand me downs and other peoples throw aways. i have a metal glider in my sun room that i use for seating. my rocking chair belonged to my 6'4" dad. he had it custom made. i make new pillow covers for the seat every once in awhile which changes the room. a neighbor gave me a cast off small book case a couple of weeks ago. the top was not the best. i found stick on tiles left from my kitchen and covered the top. made a pad matching the rocker pillow so the cats can be comfortable.

everything i have, has a story, which i won't bore everyone with. i like my odds and ends furniture, most of it i have painted white. that with blue pillows etc, give a cottage feel. i love to re purpose things.

my house has some different items, hand me downs and other peoples throw aways. i have a metal glider in my sun room that i use for seating. my rocking chair belonged to my 6'4" dad. he had it custom made. i make new pillow covers for the seat every once in awhile which changes the room. a neighbor gave me a cast off small book case a couple of weeks ago. the top was not the best. i found stick on tiles left from my kitchen and covered the top. made a pad matching the rocker pillow so the cats can be comfortable.

everything i have, has a story, which i won't bore everyone with. i like my odds and ends furniture, most of it i have painted white. that with blue pillows etc, give a cottage feel. i love to re purpose things.

You are creating a home as opposed to just furnishing a house.
Thats what it is all about;)

Our home would make your eyes pop. I'm not in to fancy furniture although I love leathers and my family room is dark brown leather and wood and marble tables, the other rooms I've never bothered to finish DH and I go head to head over the floors I like wood and a throw rug he wants wall to wall. The thing I fool with and love most are the angels I collect for my Christmas tree. My tree is my baby, with white lights silver and gold ornaments and lots of crystal rain drops I feel I have a beautiful tree and love each angel We just finished the end of February taking it down, My DH felt so bad that I'd missed Christmas and all he refused to let the girls take it down.I have all kinds of crystal, china,napkins and such and only use them special times. Like Katie and Beth I love picking up things at yard sales painting on roof tiles which I'm doing today You might not care for my treasures thinking them JUNK but I love them and wouldn't give them up for anything. And I'd never dare to think what a mess of your home is or you treasures, Keep them, love them and enjoy. Please remember when we write a post here nobody can see the expression on our face so so take us at our word, We might be kidding and anting to make others laugh, but instead we rub their feathers the wrong way, Use the Smileys thea are along side they help get across what we mean,
kadesma

I agree with you Kadesma about using the smileys. Words don't mean the same things to everyone, but the addition of an appropriate smiley will often get across the way we mean them.

One of these days I will have all my teapots and tea cups out of their boxes and on display. But, I'm not sure what to do with the books.

Selkie mate my addiction is for watches, pens, lighters ect from one maker.
I love things of quality and beauty and have found them to be a better investment than institutional investing.

Back
Top Bottom