What's cooking Sunday the 22nd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
The pork butt is ready to go in the smoker, my kid brother came with a large live cromer crab and the Gravadlax is ready.
I will post some pics later.
Ps the crab is more attractive than the last crustacean he turned up with last week.:)

Grilled salmon with a rhubarb sauce...haven't figured out the veggies yet. Waiting for the DH to arrive. He's bringing lettuce from the garden and whatever he can score at the local produce store...I'm hoping for aspargus...

Either an antipasti of marinated seafood salad, marinated mushrooms, and prosciutto-wrapped melon or grilled asparagus (whichever looks better at store) OR a roasted chicken florentine pasta casserole recipe that was in our local grocery store's ad this past week. We did our grocery shopping yesterday but someone forgot to look at the asparagus and melon while I was stuck at the deli counter waiting to get our prosciutto and meats/cheese for a chef's salad later in the week. So, depends on whether he feels like going back to store today or wants to wait until tomorrow.

Good morning,

Today's dinner will be a traditional Italian Sunday gravy with meatballs, bracciole, and pork. It will be served over penne pasta and we'll have escarole sauteed in oil and garlic on the side.

Enjoy the day:chef:

I have a rare Sunday off, so I am thinking about getting the smoker going to do up some giant back ribs I just pulled from the freezer last night. Or, I may use the indirect method on my gas grill.

Cancel dinner--the van is going to the shop--unless he calls me back and tells me he can't get the filters, etc. at Canadian Tire. I have nothing to do at the shop, so I'm taking DH's truck and I'm going to shop while he diagnoses what's wrong--then I'll come back to the farm. Since he's not coming out to the farm and I have to work tomorrow (downside of having clients outside of Canada--I know it's the May long weekend--I get mine next week), I am putting the salmon with rhubarb on hold. Maybe I'll have ice cream, again. This weekend has not been fun, yet.

This having more than one house can be a real pain at times. I spend most of my time at the farm because of the garden. He spends most of his time at the "other" house because that is where all his machining equipment lives.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Today's dinner will be a traditional Italian Sunday gravy with meatballs, bracciole, and pork. It will be served over penne pasta and we'll have escarole sauteed in oil and garlic on the side.

Enjoy the day:chef:

I can just imagine the delicious sandwiches you'll be enjoying tomorrow with the leftover meats!

I have some boneless chicken breasts marinating in v-8 juice, oil and chopped garlic. I'll grill them later and make a homemade guacamole for them (avocado, lime juice, serrano, green onion, s&p). With that I'll do some corn on the cobb with a chili butter.

I am not sure what to have. I looked here for ideas. I wish I could dine with Bolas. The pork butt sounds great! I might have to go get one myself!

Chicken...................... Fried
Potatoes.....................Mashed
Asparagus Casserole.....Baked
Purple Hull Peas...........Boiled
Cornbread.................. .Baked
Vidalia Onions.............Sliced
Lemon Meringue Pie......Baked

Last edited:
I just finished making some Chicken & Rice Soup... although it's not your traditional soup.

I had purchased a large pack of chicken thighs and baked them. After cooling and quickly and simply stripping the meat off down the length of the bone with a chef's knife, I ate the meat-laden bones like a chicken wing, but the meaty portion I diced.

To make this quick soup, to about a quart of water I added a large chicken bouillon cube (or two regular square cubes will work), a corn starch slurry to thicken, not quite as thick as a gravy, but not watery either. After it's thickened by boiling the broth, I added a couple of cups of cheap, no-name-brand frozen mixed vegetables and the diced chicken (2-3 cups.) To this I added the spices; celery salt, freshly ground pepper and...gumbo file.

I thought, "Why not use my gumbo seasoning for something other than gumbo... just for fun," so I added about 2 or maybe 3 teaspoons of file (pronounced "fee-lay"), and that is what really set this soup apart as something unusual and very tasty!

Served on a bed of rice in a bowl after it's thoroughly warmed through, it has made my day (lunch first), but this evening, when I go to warm it up for dinner, I think I'll add a small can of "Mushroom Stems and Pieces" and a splash of Louisiana Hot Sauce. Thai Sriracha Sauce would also work.

Last edited:
Sounds good Uncle Bob. What's in your asparagus casserole?

Obviously fresh asparagus blanched.....4 boiled eggs sliced....1 Cup(?) Cheese...4 oz(?) sliced mushrooms sauteed...bechamel sauce...Make two layers...top with crushed potato chips....20 minutes in a 350* oven.

Or sumpin like dat :LOL:

I put some bone-in pork chops to marinate yesterday, so we'll grill those, along with some grilled Idaho potatoes, green tomato pickles, steamed artichokes, iced tea and more of the black forest cake for dessert.

We need to eat later today. Breakfast was quite filling and, in Glenn's words, were as "full as a tick."

I thought doomsday was sometime in december 2012. Honest, this is the first I've heard of it. I guess it wasn't doomsday after all.:LOL:

I thought doomsday was sometime in december 2012. Honest, this is the first I've heard of it. I guess it wasn't doomsday after all.:LOL:

Yesterday was supposed to be the rapture.

2012 is the end of one cycle of the Mayan Calendar. The people who use that calendar don't consider it doomsday, they consider it time to start the cycle over.

The rapture didn't happen? You mean this isn't heaven? Better go shopping.

Actually, the pork tenderloin that replaced the sword fish and in turn got replaced by take out Chinese yesterday, will be tonight's dinner. Really.

Back
Top Bottom