What's your best...Burger? The entries!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
What's your best...Burger? The entries!!

See the challenge discussion here...
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/whats-your-best-burger-72465.html

Here are the rules:

This is a burger challenge.

Beef, turkey, veggie, whatever you like...What's YOUR best burger?

1. It must be a burger (pattie) served on a bun, and preferably cooked on the grill but not necessary (don't want to exclude those that cook indoors or don't have a grill).

2. Include the recipe, any instructions, and all toppings and condiments you use or make.

3. A picture would be great if you can take one, but not required.

All entries should be posted by Sunday June 5th.

Example:

Burger Name: Ali's Dawg-gone Good Burger

Description (optional): For those days when kibble just won't fill that hunger-pang.

Ingredients:

• 1 lb ground round
  • 4 pieces of bacon, crisp
  • 4 slices American cheese
  • 4 buns

Special instructions:

1. Mix all together
  2. Make 4 patties,
  3. Grill to med-well,
  4. Place each pattie on a bun,
  5. Place all 4 in the dog dish.

Picture (optional)

You get the idea.

Any questions can be posted here http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/whats-your-best-burger-72465.html

Start those grills (or grill pans) and lets get cooking!!! :)

buckytom's entry:
Note: This entry was moved from the discussion thread located here:

Burger Name: grilled boursin juicy lucys

Description:
for beef, here"s my latest creation. it's a juicy lucy (a stuffed burger) using boursin cheese. tnt since i've made them several times and my family loved them each time.

Ingredients:
you take a roughly 4 ounce 80/20 ground angus chuck patty, top it with a good lump of garlic and herb boursin, then put a second 4 oz. patty on top and seal the edges well. grill until cooked medium and the chesse becomes gooey inside.
serve on a whole wheat soft bun with tomato, lettuce, red onion, and ketchup. side o' steak fries.

Picture:
i thought i had a picture of my grilled boursin juicy lucys, but i only have an old one of a burger with garlic and herb boursin cheese, lettuce, onion, and tomato on a whole wheat roll with baked steak fries:

img0793j.jpg

and here's an american cheese juicy lucy, medium rare, naked on a whole wheat roll with baked steak fries. i squeezed it a bit for effect so you get the idea:

img0722c.jpg

(yeah, i know you're not supposed to eat rare ground beef, yada yada. i'm still here and have never suffered the slightest ill effects from it after many, many times...)

the pan fried american cheese juicy lucys, ready when the cheese starts to ooze:

img0714m.jpg

powerplantop's entry:

Burger Name: "Asian" Burger

Description:
My best is what I call an "Asian" Burger.

Ingredients:

I make the patty with ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, soy sauce and green onions.

It gets topped with swiss cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms.

After the onions are caramelized I add the mushrooms and homemade teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds and garlic, simmer until the mushrooms are done.

Teriyaki sauce: 2 Tbsp sake, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp mirin.

Picture:

img_1003912_0_8d42622be75c1584e75632c3574d666d.jpg

Ok let's give this a try:LOL: Ma's Burger, with onion jam give it a try but you can feed it to the dog if you want:shock: just don't let him sleep in the same room this jam might explode.
The first thing I do is make my onion jam, In a large skillet or pan over med heat melt 2-3 tab. each butter and evoo.Add 2 sweet onions thinly sliced cook stirring now and then reduce heat if they start to brown keep cooking til translucent and tender, Stir in add in 1/4 c each apple cider vinegar and water, add 1/2 c. brown sugar salt and black pepper reduce heat to low cook til onions become jam like

for your 4 burgers you will need about 3 lbs. Ground round or chuck pat into 8 patties which when put together with your cheese will make four nice fat patties mix meat with 3 egg yolks 6 sliced green onions green and white 2-3 Worcestershire 1 Tab. Dijon or more depending on YOU, salt and pepper.8 slices or jack or swiss cheese cut to fit into the burger and have 2nd burger fit around it to keep cheese from oozing Now grill your burgers til done, not much pink inside
Take a soft loaf of French bread cut the long way and pull out the crumb.Toast on grill. Take a pastry brush and mix up some mayo and horseradish mix together in the amounts you prefer brush over the inside of the bread. put in some fairly thick tomato slices Finely shredded butter lettuce, serve with a nice crisp dill pickle. The fillings are simple I want the Jam and the burger to shine. After grilling if you want to wrap the whole thing in foil and reheat it on your grill There you have it. I'll try to get a picture but can't promise.I have to check with my daughter,
kadesma

Last edited:
Kayelle's Killer Burger

One of my secrets to this burger is is the bun! All of you great bread makers could make them, but I buy mine at Trader Joe's. They look like this, and hold up beautifully to this super juicy burger.

img_1004041_0_1357fa210014a372db13c8d4ddc73192.jpg
Ingredients:

1 Artisan style bun, split and toasted
1 large patty of 80/20 ground chuck, pan fried or grilled
1 whole Portabella mushroom about the size of the buns
2 strips of applewood smoked bacon, cooked
1 thick slice of swiss cheese
1 or 2 slices of tomato
lettuce leaf

Remove the stem from the Portabella, brush with olive oil, and cook in a hot oven (or grill) till somewhat softened. Salt and pepper the hamburger patty and cook. Top the patty with cheese, bacon, mushroom cap, tomato and lettuce leaf. Dress top bun half with mayo.
Because of the bun, this burger will not fall apart, even with all the contents.
Sorry to not get a picture of the completed burger. I had eating on my mind. ;)

LP's Packed Portobello Burger

Okay, some people argue that this isn't a burger because there is no meat in it and nothing is ground up. But in terms of flavour I don't think there is any argument - even if you aren't a vegetarian, this is a really good burger alternative!

1 large portobello mushroom cap, stem and black scales removed
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
1 tbsp red onion, diced
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp BBQ sauce (I use homemade)
4 or 5 baby spinach leaves cut/ripped fine

1 bun of choice (I like a potato flax seed that we get at our gluten free bakery)

Mix garlic, oil, salt and pepper and liberally brush inside of portobello.

Mix remaining ingredients with a spoon but only until mixed (leaving all textures visible and not smooth).

Grill inside of mushroom until hot. Baste top of mushroom and turn over on the grill. Fill the centre with the feta mixture and grill on low until the mushroom is soft and the filling is hot.

Serve filling side up on a bun (I find no condiments except maybe a little margarine are needed!

Last edited:
Bolas De Fraile's entry:
What's your best...Burger?

Name: Feta Stuffed Pljeskavica.

Description: The famous and original Burger, my lords, ladies, gentelmen and Tom I give you the Feta Stuffed Pljeskavica.

Ingredients: Coarse Mince a to make a 1/3 of each, Lean Beef, Veal and fatty Belly Pork. Mix with a little Sally salt and a lot of Percy pepper, put half a measure in your burger press add the feta mixed with chopped onion, top with the meat mix and press. Toast your buns smear with fiery ajvar.

Pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
goat burgers LOL

Ingredients:

2 small eggs
scant 1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. flaked salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
olive oil
1 # ground chevon

also used, fresh spinach leaves, home made onion relish, Heinz ketchup, American cheese.. on home made buns..

Attachments

• DSCN3819.jpg
    DSCN3819.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN3822.jpg
    DSCN3822.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN3826.jpg
    DSCN3826.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN3829.jpg
    DSCN3829.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 308
I am not positive about the goat patty but I will definitely give two thumbs up for Beth's burger buns! Whenever I make pulled pork sandwiches, burgers, etc. I only use this recipe!

As for the goat, I would give it a try.

Not a recipe but a technique I use when cooking burgers.

Form your patty's and the stick your finger in the middle to make a dent or hole. The burgers cook more evenly and no more raw or underdone part in the middle. (like a doughnut)(or is that donut)

Sorry no photos as this burger takes some significant planning
Mix equals parts "fresh ground" grass fed brisket, "prime" graded short ribs and 14-21 day "prime" graded dry aged sirloin(yes this is a $25 burger but you asked for the best, not the cheapest)
Shape loosely into 6oz patties about 4 +/- inches across. Coat each side with a bit more Kosher salt than you think it needs(my wife is very sensitive to salt...but it seems not to notice a heavily salted crust:)).
Place into a ripping hot cast iron skillet or place on a hot grill. Cook 2-3 minutes (until it releases from the grill) then flip and cook 2-4 more minutes. Just before removing from skillet or grill add 1 large pat of butter and the best cheddar cheese you can afford. Top with a slice of tomato, lettuce, bacon and a just barely cooked egg(yolk must still be runny). Place on a Martins potato roll that has been brushed with butter and grilled

I started with some chuck roast and used Lucille to grind it with the coarser of the two plates.

The plan had been to grill these on the boat, but circumstances dictated they get done at home. Oh well, charcoal instead of a propane grill, how do I survive this? :)

These were done with a little kosher salt and ground pepper (McCormick's pepper medley).

There were none left over.

Attachments

• Burgers01.jpg
    Burgers01.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Burgers02.jpg
    Burgers02.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 272
  • Burgers03.jpg
    Burgers03.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 262
  • Burgers04.jpg
    Burgers04.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Burgers05.jpg
    Burgers05.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 278
Uncle Bob, I was actually hoping I was lowing the bar with my entry, so please post your entry too......

if you are running short on your last burger, I can send this along:LOL:

:LOL:[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• DSCN3830.jpg
    DSCN3830.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN3831.jpg
    DSCN3831.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 263
My Favorite:
1 lb freshly ground good chuck
1 t finely mince garlic
1 t sugar
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t to 1T Thai Fish Sauce ( to your taste)

Mix lightly, but thoroughly. Let it marinate for 1/2 hr, then form into 4 patties.
Grill to your liking.

Add cheese, crisp bacon rashers, Srirachi mayo, and serve on toasted buns! Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, I was actually hoping I was lowing the bar with my entry, so please post your entry too......

if you are running short on your last burger, I can send this along:LOL:

:LOL:
[/QUOTE]

Lower the bar?? Lower the Bar????:ermm: Shoot, you're just being tricky girl.... Tryin to lull everybody to sleep....:sleep: Can't fool me! ~~~ Hmmmm gotta come up with a plan "B"....:glare:

:LOL:

I started with some chuck roast and used Lucille to grind it with the coarser of the two plates.

The plan had been to grill these on the boat, but circumstances dictated they get done at home. Oh well, charcoal instead of a propane grill, how do I survive this? :)

These were done with a little kosher salt and ground pepper (McCormick's pepper medley).

There were none left over.

Diner 1: I'd call these old-timey hamburgers. I cannot eat another. Maybe just a half of another.

Diner 2: I will take the other half. Juicy and really balanced.

Diner 3: (No words...just took two from the start and had no suggestions!)

Very yummy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pan fried burger - 1 slice American on the bottom, 1 slice Muenster on the top, pickles, mushrooms and/or onions (fried in pan with burgers to exchange flavors) and Tabasco HOT ketchup on a poppy seed kaiser roll.

img_1006447_0_7c40cc5db9e4b852c2e90bfc36ab1501.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom