Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Thurs. May 26th. What's for supper? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/thurs-may-26th-whats-for-supper-72547.html)

pacanis 05-26-2011 08:02 AM

Thurs. May 26th. What's for supper?

I've been seeing this commercial on TV the past couple weeks for 12 tacos for 10 bucks at Taco _ell. And I've got half a mind to go for it, but... I've got hamburger, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, super stuffer shells, Vidalias, chipotles and a few other things, so the other half of my mind is telling me to make my own! :chef:
So five super stuffed tacos for me tonight! Maybe six :pig:

Anyone else have a plan yet?

justplainbill 05-26-2011 08:15 AM

Cheese, tomato, sweet sausage, and onion topped pizza made from 22 ounces of homemade refrigerated dough.

jabbur 05-26-2011 09:22 AM

When I got the creamer out of the fridge this morning for my coffee, I realized how packed it is so I'll be cleaning out the leftovers this afternoon and serving anything that is still good to eat.

Zhizara 05-26-2011 09:26 AM

I'll be eating some of the split pea soup I made yesterday, and honey ham and swiss on Rye. House cleaning today so no messy kitchen.

Katie H 05-26-2011 09:27 AM

Glenn's son's wife is still in China on business, so we're going to have Kenneth come for dinner tonight. He's been working extra long hours at his auto/body shop and he needs to get a break.

I've got roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, buttered peas, and iced tea on the menu. Will make a key lime pie for dessert.

Alix 05-26-2011 09:53 AM

I haven't decided on whether to do spaghetti or meatballs and gravy. Ground beef is the central component and I'll go from there.

I am going to bake some cake mix cookies today. I got a free cookie cookbook download on my Kindle and I'm going to try a recipe. The weather has been poopy the last few days so its baking time!

CWS4322 05-26-2011 10:41 AM

Pork tenderloins marinated in maple syrup, whole grain mustard, garlic, apple cider vinegar, jalepeno peppers, and chilpolte chili powder. Baked potato and frozen green beans (from last year's garden).

Andy M. 05-26-2011 12:21 PM

Individual medley tonight. I'm experimenting with a stuffed burger.

tinlizzie 05-26-2011 01:08 PM

Willl microwave a bowl of Kema from the freezer (ground turkey, brown rice, onion, tomato sauce, Indian spices). I have some strawberry spinach (chenopodium capitatum, according to Google) :ermm: from the farm stand. Never got it before, don't know how to fix it. I'm not much for spinach salad -- any cooking suggestions? TIA

LPBeier 05-26-2011 01:23 PM

Well, today will (hopefully) be yesterdays Baron of Beef dip. I ended up transferring Dad from the hospital to a rehabilitation facility with absolutely no notice, so DH had a wonderful home made burger waiting for me when I dragged myself through the door at 8:45 pm!

So today it will be the roast on gluten free potato flax buns with au jus, salad and oven wedge fries! (unless something unforeseen happens again!).

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 05-26-2011 01:58 PM

filet mignon with teriyaki mushroom sauce, stuffed baked potato, green beans sautÚd in butter and garlic, and I think now I will open that bottle of 2009 H. J. Fabre Patagonia Malbec

Uncle Bob 05-26-2011 02:16 PM

Shrimp Salad..dressed with the "Mother Sauce" of Mississippi!!
Chocolate Ice Cream.....

Zhizara 05-26-2011 03:10 PM

And what would be the Mother Sauce of Mississippi, Uncle Bob?

Uncle Bob 05-26-2011 03:35 PM

You may Google Come Back Sauce...Kum Bak sauce or any one of the several spellings. You will find hundreds, if not thousands of Copy Cat/Kopy Kat, variations on a theme, and out right bastardizations of the recipe.. A few of them are actually close to the original. It was Created at the Rotisserie Restaurant in Jackson Ms. It is a very popular sauce, used for salad dressing, seafood sauces, on crackers. It's uses are limitless and one can even dip ya finger down in the jar for a tasty treat!! :wink: Most restaurants that offer the dressing/sauce have their own spin on it...New Orleans has it's Remoulades...Mississippi has it's Comeback Sauce.......

Have Fun!

tinlizzie 05-26-2011 03:43 PM

Looks like the strawberry spinach goes into a hot CI pan w/bacon grease. Nothin' could be finer...well, Uncle Bob - too bad I don't have time to go hunt for some of that sauce. And some crab cakes.

Uncle Bob 05-26-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinlizze
Uncle Bob - too bad I don't have time to go hunt for some of that sauce. And some crab cakes.

:sad:I'm sorry too...maybe another day, another time... for you are sure to 'Come Back' for more!:smile:

Have Fun!

Dawgluver 05-26-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
You may Google Come Back Sauce...Kum Bak sauce or any one of the several spellings. You will find hundreds, if not thousands of Copy Cat/Kopy Kat, variations on a theme, and out right bastardizations of the recipe.. A few of them are actually close to the original. It was Created at the Rotisserie Restaurant in Jackson Ms. It is a very popular sauce, used for salad dressing, seafood sauces, on crackers. It's uses are limitless and one can even dip ya finger down in the jar for a tasty treat!! :wink: Most restaurants that offer the dressing/sauce have their own spin on it...New Orleans has it's Remoulades...Mississippi has it's Comeback Sauce.......

Have Fun!

I asked about this awhile back, had a recipe for one with horseradish. Is that what you use, UB? Still plan on making it.

Broccoli cheese soup, leftover rotisserie chicken, fresh snow peas, strawberries.

Rocklobster 05-26-2011 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pasta shells w/ tomato sauce. Italian sausage. Salad.

babetoo 05-26-2011 05:36 PM

thawing out, ham and beans and cornbread. will heat left over baked potato in skillet to a nice crisp brown. cookies dessert.

Uncle Bob 05-26-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1005006)
I asked about this awhile back, had a recipe for one with horseradish. Is that what you use, UB? Still plan on making it.

Broccoli cheese soup, leftover rotisserie chicken, fresh snow peas, strawberries.

I have seen recipes that include horseradish...I personally do not include it. ~~ Make a batch...put 1/2 of it in a bowl...add a little horseradish...refrigerate.....come back a couple of days later and see which version you like.....

Have Fun!

Dawgluver 05-26-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

I have seen recipes that include horseradish...I personally do not include it. ~~ Make a batch...put 1/2 of it in a bowl...add a little horseradish...refrigerate.....come back a couple of days later and see which version you like.....

Have Fun!

Thanks! Would love your recipe, could you post it?

powerplantop 05-26-2011 06:28 PM

Pot Roast, baked potatoes and gravy.

Uncle Bob 05-26-2011 06:40 PM

This recipe is Robert St. John's version ...Chef/Owner of the Purple Parrot Cafe, the Crescent City Grill, and the Mahogany Bar, Hattiesburg, Mississippi ~~ I think you will enjoy it...and it's a good place to start to develop Dawgluver's version......

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Click Here

PS...I highly recommend Duke' Mayonnaise... if at all possible in your location!!

Dawgluver 05-26-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

This recipe is Robert St. John's version ...Chef/Owner of the Purple Parrot Cafe, the Crescent City Grill, and the Mahogany Bar, Hattiesburg, Mississippi ~~ I think you will enjoy it...and it's a good place to start to develop Dawgluver's version......

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Click Here

PS...I highly recommend Duke' Mayonnaise... if at all possible in your location!!

Yay! Will def give this a try, with and without horseradish, as you suggested. Have not seen Duke's mayo, will use Hellman's.

PattY1 05-26-2011 07:32 PM

Salad
Fried Chicken based on this DDD: Big Mama's Omaha, Nebraska | Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Omaha | Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Nebraska
Hush Puppies (perfect way to use up the rest of the butter milk)

Attachment 11002Attachment 11003

LPBeier 05-26-2011 07:51 PM

Patty, your chicken looks crispy and delicious!

Speaking of chicken, there was another change of plans. I didn't get home in time for the roast, but was able to get my deviled chicken legs into the oven before DH gets home! I am thinking pasta or rice but will let him decide when he gets here. Wish I had time for mushroom risotto! I will be having salad too to cut down my portions of the other items. Fruit salad for dessert.

pacanis 05-26-2011 07:55 PM

The tacos were outstanding. I had six.

DaveSoMD 05-26-2011 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight was a new recipe. I was looking for something a) to use up the leftover roast chicken and b) that I could could cook and not have to turn on the oven.

I found this in a cook book that my Mom gave me. It is called Black Bean Garnachas. I changed the recipe a bit and it was great. I made it all on the grill. We had these (one each - they are made on 10" tortillas) and salad.

buckytom 05-26-2011 08:23 PM

i got called i.to work early, so it'll be takeout chinese for me tonight. probably rib tips over veggie fried rice, and singapore mei fun. maybe broccoli in garlic saice.
if i get all three, there'll be plenty of leftovers for another meal this weekend.

FrankZ 05-26-2011 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did some chickens on the rotisserie, we had corn and a salad with.

msmofet 05-26-2011 11:04 PM

Kraft home style Mac and cheese with tuna topped with shredded cheddar and bread crumbs and salad (red & green butter lettuce, sliced mushroom cap, sliced vine tomato, sliced almonds, McCormick salad supreme and shredded cheddar cheese dressed with homemade buttermilk ranch dressing).

http://www.discusscooking.com/attach...2fac4b85a4.jpg

Aunt Bea 05-27-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattY1 (Post 1005053)
Salad
Fried Chicken based on this DDD: Big Mama's Omaha, Nebraska | Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Omaha | Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Nebraska
Hush Puppies (perfect way to use up the rest of the butter milk)

Attachment 11002Attachment 11003

Patty that chicken looks great! I like the idea of oven frying it in a little more oil than usual.

Have you tried making the burger shown in the video? I am not sure about all of the spice but, I am curious about the technique. I am going to try it.

Thanks B

PattY1 05-27-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1005098)
Patty that chicken looks great! I like the idea of oven frying it in a little more oil than usual.

Have you tried making the burger shown in the video? I am not sure about all of the spice but, I am curious about the technique. I am going to try it.

Thanks B

No, I just found that video. I am not sure I will try that one. I like spicy but I don't think I could handle that one. If you try it keep us posted please.

Aunt Bea 05-29-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattY1 (Post 1005100)
No, I just found that video. I am not sure I will try that one. I like spicy but I don't think I could handle that one. If you try it keep us posted please.

PattY1

I made up a couple of test burger sticks like the ones in the video. I cut the spice mixture back quite a bit and added some onion and fennel seed. They came out similar to hot italian sausage.

I was concerned about simmering the plastic wrap but, I read the box for every brand at my grocery store and they all were ok with heating so I made up two test sticks froze them. Then simmered them for about thirty minutes. They came out fine. I just need to adjust the seasonings on them to suit my tastes. The technique is the main thing. I think this will be a keeper for me. It is a quick way to go from freezer to table for a single serving.

Thanks for the link to the video!

B