Shrimp and Grits Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I've searched, and the recipes differ..

1. Grits.. I have stone ground yellow corn that I use for Polenta.. will that work OK, or do I need the white Hominey kind? The only white they had at the store was Quaker Quick Grits but didn't that look as good..

do I need to add milk and/ or butter?

2. Shrimp... I have some nice Gulf Shrimp...but how do I cook them?

Boil them like for a Shrimp Cocktail... or Sautee in Garlic Butter... or BBQ sauce... then just pour them over the Grits?

Thanks, Y'all, Eric Austin Tx.

grits, water, butter, salt. that's it - it works. yellow /white/purple/green/pink, nadda problem. cook it up, thin with water as needed.

>>how to cook shrimp
okay, baffling a bit at TX, but...

for shrimp&grits
(peel)
apply heat - about 10 minutes or less
once the grits are done & adjusted for consistency - toss in the shrimp.
not long, they're done.

oh, overcooked shrimp make good pin-pong balls. not so much good eats tho.

steam up some fresh asparagus - good side/veggie for shrimp & grits.

Cook the Grits per package instructions...Personally I don't care for the "Cheese Grits" ~ Look for a good 'sauce'/gravy recipe....Once it's to your taste/liking...Add the shrimp to the sauce being careful not to over cook. Serve the sauce and Shrimp over the Grits....

Enjoy!

This is more about grits...is the cornmeal white? (I can't get grits here and the only ones I saw in MN when I was there were the quick cooking kind). I love grits with butter as a side with breakfast...

Yellow, White does not matter...to me. ~~ While I personally prefer stone ground grits...the Quick (Hominy) Grits work just fine!! ~~ Avoid "Instant" grits!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom