Astoria, Oregon - The Ship Inn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Ship Inn, The
#1 Second Street
Astoria, OR 97103

Fish & Chips, English Specialties

I had a cup of Clam Chowder and a half order of the combination Seafood and Chips dinner. There was a Prawn, a Scallop, an Oyster, a piece of Cod and a piece of Halibut along with steak fries, Cole Slaw, tarter sauce and cocktail sauce. The fish was fried in beer batter and was very good. I really enjoyed the oyster and the halibut. I shared half the scallop with Shrek, who had the Cod-Fish and Chips half order.

The Cole Slaw was good, fairly basic, the steak fries were crispy and handy as cocktail and tarter sauce transport devices.

The coffee was horrible...hands down the worst brewed coffee I have had in a long time.

The prices were reasonable, it was clean and the staff were great! The food was fantastic. The Clam Chowder was so good I ate at least a cup or bowl of it every day, it is even better than my Clam Chowder and I wish they delivered to Montana.

The next time we ate there...:LOL: I had the Halibut and Chips, the last night, I had the baked Halibut with Lemon Dill Sauce and rice and Cole slaw with a soda.

We ate there each time because we liked the food and it was in easy walking distance. Our meal the second day was in Cannon Beach, at Mo's, on the ocean. The clam chowder was better at The Ship inn.

Otherwise, we ate breakfast for free at the hotel and we had things like fruit and yogurt in our room for our meals at night.

The food was great at the restaurant, but the real star of the vacation was...

Attachments

• into the ocean.jpg
    into the ocean.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 338
There's a lot of beautiful coastline between Astoria and Cape Perpetua. I was not too impressed with the Columbia River. The Rogue River seemed a lot cleaner. The giant kelp in northern California was quite impressive. Hope our government does not sell off any of those national forest lands.

There's a lot of beautiful coastline between Astoria and Cape Perpetua. I was not too impressed with the Columbia River. The Rogue River seemed a lot cleaner. The giant kelp in northern California was quite impressive. Hope our government does not sell off any of those national forest lands.

I live on the Clark Fork River and we followed it to Idaho and then on to the Columbia on our trip to the Pacific Ocean. The Columbia has an astonishing history and if you can read geology you can read it's history on the valley walls. Right now the Columbia is brown, taking loads of top soil out to the Pacific and it's running fairly high. The Clark Fork is over it's banks...

The Columbia starts in British Columbia, has 14 dams and is the largest river in the Pacific Northwest. The Rogue starts in the Cascades in Oregon...it doesn't have the chance to build up the dirt and volume of the Columbia.

We only made it as far south as Cannon Beach...this trip.

Dredging up an old thread here !!

Was searching for a steak and ale chowder recipe and this popped up.

PF .. we lived 8 miles south of Astoria before moving to Ohio and we ate at the Ship Inn frequently.

You are spot on about the coffee - blechy - but the rest is good stuff.

Mo's is mostly hype and survives mainly due to tourism.

Just wanted to chime in .. I really miss living there and you brought back some great memories for me when I read this !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom