Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   ISO comments about ice cream appliances (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f84/iso-comments-about-ice-cream-appliances-72621.html)

Brenna 05-29-2011 05:25 PM

ISO comments about ice cream appliances

I was just curious, would it be better to make ice cream in my ninja blender or to make it in a cuisinart ice creammaker?

pacanis 05-29-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenna (Post 1005915)
I was just curious, would it be better to make ice cream in my ninja blender or to make it in a cuisinart ice creammaker?

I have both of those appliances, and I always grab the one that has "ice cream" in its name when I make ice cream.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 05-29-2011 05:37 PM

I just head over to the Cold Stone Creamery

Brenna 05-29-2011 07:28 PM

well, we don't have "cold stone creamery" near by. I live in AK. and with $5 or more or less for 1/2 quart of ice cream, I think I can easily save on ice cream especially as people in AK eat a lot of ice cream plus, I can make it taste however I want, I can make it healthier, etc.

what kind of ice cream makers do you guys use?

Katie H 05-29-2011 07:35 PM

We have the Cuisinart ice cream maker and love it. Sooo easy and makes great ice cream. We liked ours so much, I bought a second one at a thrift store for $2 so we could make two kinds of ice cream at the same time.

DaveSoMD 05-29-2011 07:41 PM

I have the Rival 1-quart with the canister you keep in the freezer.

Andy M. 05-29-2011 07:44 PM

I have the Cuisinart as well and it makes great ice cream if you have a good recipe.

justplainbill 05-30-2011 04:01 AM

We use a Cuisinart 2 quart machine. Given the cost of heavy cream, it's tough to economize except to the extent you are willing to use egg yolks to offset reduced heavy cream content by making a cooked custard ice cream.

Brenna 05-30-2011 03:37 PM

okay, so not cost efficient - even if I bought it from craigslist?

justplainbill 05-30-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenna (Post 1006237)
okay, so not cost efficient - even if I bought it from craigslist?

I was just referring to the cost of the ingredients and not the machine. Namely the fat from egg yolks is less expensive than the butter fat from heavy sweet cream.

bakechef 05-30-2011 07:53 PM

One crazy thing that I discovered here. I can get fresh local heavy cream from Whole Foods cheaper than the mass produced stuff (store brand or name brand) in the regular grocery store, strange but it has been that way for a couple years. The local stuff is great, it has such amazing flavor.

Brenna 05-31-2011 04:20 PM

thats cool. I don't think that would be easily accessible where I live. but oh well. I'll have to look at some ice cream recipes first then, see how costly it is or isn't.

justplainbill 06-01-2011 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenna (Post 1006591)
thats cool. I don't think that would be easily accessible where I live. but oh well. I'll have to look at some ice cream recipes first then, see how costly it is or isn't.

I seem to recall that the ingredients for $6 per pint store bought icecream runs about $3 per pint. On sale the $6 per pint is sometimes available at about $3 per pint. I make my own because I prefer less sugar than the store bought.

DaveSoMD 06-01-2011 04:32 AM

Making homemade ice cream isn't always about saving money. It is the fun of doing it, being able to control the ingredients, making fun flavors, and sometimes using fresh fruit.

Brenna 06-02-2011 02:08 PM

besides price, I was thinking of making some without sugar, maybe stevia or something. thers not a lot of options in the non-sugar ice creams. so . . . thats part of my inspiration.

justplainbill 06-02-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brenna (Post 1007255)
besides price, I was thinking of making some without sugar, maybe stevia or something. thers not a lot of options in the non-sugar ice creams. so . . . thats part of my inspiration.

Going much below 1/2 cup of sugar per quart of ice cream mix will usually result in a less than creamy frozen desert.

pacanis 06-02-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1007276)
Going much below 1/2 cup of sugar per quart of ice cream mix will usually result in a less than creamy frozen desert.

That's interesting. The recipe I always use says 3T each of brown sugar and white, for 1.5 qts... and there's 8T in 1/2c, so I wonder if that is why my ice cream isn't as creamy as storebought... It's good, just not very creamy. And a PITA to scoop out of the container.
I'm going to bump up my sugar content and see what happens.
Thanks.

justplainbill 06-02-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1007319)
That's interesting. The recipe I always use says 3T each of brown sugar and white, for 1.5 qts... and there's 8T in 1/2c, so I wonder if that is why my ice cream isn't as creamy as storebought... It's good, just not very creamy. And a PITA to scoop out of the container.
I'm going to bump up my sugar content and see what happens.
Thanks.

You're welcome. The babe from Jersey City (Metro New York? :smile:) was kind enough to impart that pearl of culinary wisdom. The sugar acts as a mild anti-freeze.

pacanis 06-10-2011 04:55 PM

Giving this a try tonight, Bill. I'll post results.

justplainbill 06-10-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 1010345)
Giving this a try tonight, Bill. I'll post results.

Good Luck. I hate making ice cream when the humidity is high.

pacanis 06-10-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplainbill (Post 1010357)
Good Luck. I hate making ice cream when the humidity is high.

It's not high humidity inside. I've got the AC on :chef:

I'm VERY impressed so far.
One of the problems I experienced making ice cream, besides it being too *frozen*, was the ice cream sticking to the bowl, or "non-stick chamber" as Cuisinart calls it :rolleyes:
Tonight I was able to scoop everything right out into the container with just a silicone spatula. And of course a taste test is a given... and it really doesn't taste and more sugary at all. Definitely creamier though. I can't wait to try the frozen product.

justplainbill 06-11-2011 03:18 AM

Glad to hear you seem to be satisfied with the results. I also suggest that you Do NOT cut the sugar in your ice cream mix in an effort to compensate for any sugar added to a fruit mix that you may be incorporating into your churning ice cream. I try to keep the sugar added to stewed fruit mixes (e.g. strawberries) down to 2 tablespoons or less per cup of fruit.