Report on making pizza with KA Italian Style Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
so today I made pizza margherita with King Arthur Italian Style Flour mixed with Gold Medal Better for Bread flour. I used about 60% hydration (I usually go with 65% hydration for the gold medal bread flour, and according to the KA package the focaccio recipe uses 55% hydration so I used 60%) and let the dough rise in the fridge for 48 hours.

Result: the KA flour does make the end product very airy, I can see those big bubbles forming in the edge of the crust that resembles ciabatta bread. The 48 hour rise also gives the dough a nice flavor. however even though I mixed in bread flour that probably raised protein % to almost 10% (KA is 8.5%, and assuming the gold medal flour has 12%), the pizza dough is very fragile, I can't even do a knuckle stretch without breaking holes. I had to leave it on the board and stretch carefully with one hand while holding the dough with the other. Though airy, the product seems to need more hydration. Also since my San Marzano tomatoes hasn't arrived yet, this time I used San Walmart Roma tomatoes which barely has any flavor at all.

Next step: I need to increase hydration level, maybe 65% will do well. I know some people here recommended milk, but I don't think a pizza dough should have milk in it so I'll just go with hydration.

Back
Top Bottom