Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   ISO help w/spaghetti sauce in pressure cooker (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-help-w-spaghetti-sauce-in-pressure-cooker-72636.html)

ruffus 05-30-2011 08:17 AM

ISO help w/spaghetti sauce in pressure cooker

I would like to know if someone has tips on how to avoid burning spaghetti sauce in a pressure cooker? Thanks

Selkie 05-30-2011 09:17 AM

Personally, I wouldn't cook spaghetti sauce, or any other sauce, in a pressure cooker. The original intent of a pressure cooker is to decrease cooking time and make tender tough cuts of meat. High altitude cooking (braising, for instance), almost demands the use of a pressure cooker for select meats (usually roasts) and stews.

In my experience, homemade spaghetti sauce benefits from simple long time simmering on a very low heat with occasional stirring. I don't think using a pressure cooker would gain you anything flavor-wise, but that's just my opinion. :chef:

jennyema 05-30-2011 09:39 AM

I agree with Selkie.

Plus sauce benefits from reduction and concentration of flavors.

PrincessFiona60 05-30-2011 09:40 AM

What Selkie said. I could see using the pressure cooker to can your sauce, but not to make it.

pacanis 05-30-2011 09:44 AM

You definitely get the concentration of flavors in a PC. I made spaghetti sauce in mine before and in 20 minutes I had sauce that tasted like it had been simmering for hours. I do prefer to make my sauce stovetop though. Probably because I like to fiddle with it while it cooks. I think it was 20 minutes... I know it wasn't longer.

justplainbill 05-30-2011 09:48 AM

Would imagine that a PC doesn't help thicken the sauce.
Is your PC made out of aluminum?

Josie1945 05-30-2011 10:00 AM

Ruffus, Welcome to Dc.
I would not cook Pasta sauce in a pressure cooker.

Josie

pacanis 05-30-2011 10:11 AM

Here's the recipe I loosely followed
Pressure Cooker Spaghetti Sauce Recipe - Pressure Cooker Sausage Pasta Sauces Recipes

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 05-30-2011 10:18 AM

If I made Grandma Lovulo's sauce in a pressure cooker, she'd be spinning in her grave, and my mother would again be haunting my dreams. She might even make the top of the pressure cooker blow off.

I simmer my meatballs and Italian sausage in my sauce, and I don't think 20 minutes in the pressure cooker could extract and meld the flavours that 2 hours on the stove top will.

dcSaute 05-30-2011 10:21 AM

>>sausage pasta sauce

that was my first thought - perhaps it's the meat portion of a recipe that's driving the idea....

there is one trick to achieving lower heat that your burner puts out on the lowest setting - a "flame tamer"

these can be high temp ceramic or metal - I've seen metal wires formed into various patterns that _might_ work with electric burners (but not so much with gas)

you put the plate between the burner and the pot . . .

in the slow simmer method the occasional stir is most helpful in keeping the sauce from 'settling out' - gets thick on the bottom... not sure how that goes in a pressure cooker.