Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   Need help with menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f126/need-help-with-menu-72656.html)

jabbur 05-31-2011 08:37 AM

Need help with menu

I found 8 cups of beef broth when I cleaned out the freezer. They are thawed and ready to use. I plan on making french onion soup with them today but I know that won't satisfy my guy. I need something else to go with it. My pantry is pretty well stocked since I just went to the store Sunday. Anybody got any suggestions of something to serve with the onion soup for dinner?

Claire 05-31-2011 08:53 AM

I don't know, but guess, that the weather in Newport News is pretty warm right now (lived there once upon a time, at Fort Monroe). How about a good starch-based salad? Macaroni, rice, potato? Hot soup, cool salad to offset it.

If the guy is a real traditionalist, use the soup as a first course and make a pasta based main course.

NoraC 05-31-2011 11:41 AM

It does seem awfully hot for French Onion soup.

Andy M. 05-31-2011 11:45 AM

A hearty sandwich would go well with the soup.

Janet H 05-31-2011 12:30 PM

How about a BLT?

Rocklobster 05-31-2011 12:50 PM

Julienne Salad, w/ lean ham, turkey, cheese, boiled egg, etc....

jabbur 05-31-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoraC (Post 1006433)
It does seem awfully hot for French Onion soup.

I know it's hot but the beef broth was scattered in little containers stuff all over the freezer. Some of them I forgot to label and had to thaw them out to figure out what it was! I don't want to lose the broth so thought I'd better get it used since it thawed out now. I figure I'll caramelize the onions, make a roux and add the broth and seasonings then instead of broiling, I'll melt the cheese in the microwave. Using the crockpot will help to cut down on the heat generated.

I'm leaning towards a salad at this point. I can boil up some eggs, have the lettuce, some shredded carrots, some chopped ham, cherry tomatoes and cheese.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 05-31-2011 01:48 PM

Do you like Mexican rice? Not Spanish rice, Mexican rice. There is a difference. Different seasonings, and Spanish rice has a sauce.

MEXICAN RICE
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • ½ cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
  • ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ½ green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp Mexican oregano
  • ½ tsp ground corriander
  • fresh cilantro for garnish
Directions:

Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups, if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.

SadieBaby. 06-01-2011 05:51 PM

Cheese toasties.

jabbur 06-01-2011 08:30 PM

sir loin that looks interesting. I'll have to try that.