Chicken Stock & Red Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scattergun2570

Assistant Cook
I have heard more than once,that chicken stock is a secret ingredient in making red tomato sauce. Has anyone ever heard this,or anyone who uses stock in the sauce?

you are talking about a meat-flavored tomato sauce? I don't put any protein/amino acid in my tomato sauce, I just use good ripe tomatoes and good strong basil leaves

I make a mean sauce without either. If I were to add any additional liquid it might be a little bit of water if things get too thick, but I don't ever do that.

I add some wine and some beef and chicken stock to a long simmering sauce. It adds flavor and the long simmer keeps it from making the sauce too thin.

Jen's approach of adding the beef base avoids the excess liquid issue.

Every time I put my chicken stock (VooDoo stock) in my tomato sauce Kathleen raves about it. She enjoys it without, but seems to be happier with the sauce when I use the stock.

Every time I put my chicken stock (VooDoo stock) in my tomato sauce Kathleen raves about it. She enjoys it without, but seems to be happier with the sauce when I use the stock.

How much stock would you put in,if you were making two 28oz cans?

Errmm.. not a lot... I usually do 1 28oz can and use 2 or three cubes. I freeze some stock so it is ready and do it in an ice cube tray. 2 TBL per cube I believe.

Errmm.. not a lot... I usually do 1 28oz can and use 2 or three cubes. I freeze some stock so it is ready and do it in an ice cube tray. 2 TBL per cube I believe.

do you use homemade stock,or can store bought be used?

No,just standard.
the essence of good tomato sauce comes from the tomatoes. tomatoes have very complex flavors and when cooked correctly, they alone can make the dish so tasteful you don't need to add any meat. I have a spaghetti with tomato and basil recipe that even my meat loving gf likes it. she was disappointed to hear that I'm not putting any meat in the spaghetti but still end up liking it a lot.

the essence of good tomato sauce comes from the tomatoes. tomatoes have very complex flavors and when cooked correctly, they alone can make the dish so tasteful you don't need to add any meat...

No doubt meatless tomato sauces can be delicious. It's not a question of needing to add meat or meat flavors so your sauce will taste good. It's simply another kind of tomato sauce.

No doubt meatless tomato sauces can be delicious. It's not a question of needing to add meat or meat flavors so your sauce will taste good. It's simply another kind of tomato sauce.
I asked him and he said it's just for "normal tomato sauce"

I asked him and he said it's just for "normal tomato sauce"

Your post suggested to me that you were saying meat is added to a tomato sauce to make a better tasting product.

You said: "...they alone (tomatoes) can make the dish so tasteful you don't need to add any meat..."

Back
Top Bottom