Breakfast Cereals Americans No Longer Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think people like those cereals any less. The problem is that major brand cereals are so expensive that if we can't find sales and coupon deals, many of us have switched to store brands or the big bags of less expensive brands. :)

Glad to see Wheaties didn't make the list; even though it's pretty heavy on the sugar and salt. Summertime is when I eat the most dry cereal since it's to hot to cook groats or bake bread and the cold cereals go well with fresh fruit.

i have cheerios and rice krispies in my pantry. i buy the brand name ones. got burned to many time on the store brands. takes me a long time to use up a box of cereal.

I think Cheerios have been replaced by Honey-Nut Cheerios and maybe the other "flavors" in the line. You see H-N advertised more than the regular. And aside from an occasional Special-K ad, you don't see those advertised all the much. Out of site out of mind.

I think Cheerios have been replaced by Honey-Nut Cheerios and maybe the other "flavors" in the line. You see H-N advertised more than the regular. And aside from an occasional Special-K ad, you don't see those advertised all the much. Out of site out of mind.

That I can agree with. All the special flavors get pimped out while the first flavor gets no love..

I don't like most of the processed cereals such as Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc because they have no 'tooth' and it seems you have to put away a lot more than their serving size suggestion to get full. I love Wheaties, but didn't like their new Wheaties Fuel because, again, it was full of air. But my favorite all time cereal love is Post Grape Nuts Flakes. I love the taste, and I love the chewiness, but what I don't love is having to run all over town to different supermarkets to find it. Ralph's, right around the corner from my house, sells it, but that is not my usual shopping place. There are two Von's equidistant from my house in opposite directions and I shop at both depending on where I am coming from or where I am going, but one carries them and the other doesn't. I haven't tried Albertson's because they charge too much for everything, with the exception of the fresh baked French loaves from their bakery for 99¢, but even then I prefer the sourdough from Von's now that they have steam ovens so they can make the crust thick and chewy.

There is a while grocery aisle, five shelve deep, devoted to "cereal" at most stores. I'm not surprised that the originals are loosing out. Heck, there are about 10 different kinds of Cherios, aren't there?

I don't buy boxed cereal, ever. We just don't eat it. I will buy a bit of granola from the bulk bins once in awhile (or make some) to go with yogurt, but that's it.

I start off almost every morning with a bowl of cereal, and have since I was a kid. Me, I love shredded wheat. Not the spoon-size varieties, but the old fashioned big honkin' biscuits that you have to break apart. A couple of wheat biscuits and a handful of fresh berries doused with milk... love it!

I think a big part of the reason that some cereals are in decline is due to a lack of advertising. Think about it. Since 2007, a lot of companies have been tightening their belts, and advertising is one of the first things to go. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad for Rice Krispies.

Another factor might be that cold breakfast cereals just aren't mobile enough for young people, who either hit the McDonalds drive-thru or grab a croissant/muffin/baked good at the local Starbucks. Everybody seems to eat in their car these days, and that just doesn't work with a bowl of cereal.

Reading the article reminded me of how much I used to love corn pops. I haven't had those in probably 10 years, but I think I'll have to buy a box next time I'm at the store.

Even though it seems that every toddler in America gobble Cheerios by the double handful, sales are dropping. Clearly the problem is we aren't having enough babies.

Back
Top Bottom