What size jars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ValeriGail

Assistant Cook
I'm probably going to drive you guys crazy with all my questions! LOL

I am going to be doing a dry run at the local tractor supply this week. They have a small farmers market every saturday and Wednesday. Basically, if you have something to sell (must be a home made, home grown product) you can put up an awning in the parking lot and sell your stuff. So, we are going to give it a try. I've got too many figs to work myself, and too many jars of jam to eat as well. Plus now I'm hooked and have to try making all kinds of things! ;) Anyway, excuses over and all... I need to know what size jars are best. I was using the pint size because I thought that would be best for me in the long run. I didn't expect, in the beginning, to be picking figs every single day and filling two plastic buckets on top of that! Selling never even crossed my mind. My brother in law last night suggested that the smaller jars would sell better. What do you all think? Currently I have 24 8 oz jars, which is what I was going to process my blackberry in but now I'm rethinking all of that. I am seriously at a loss as to what to do.

I did get the seal of approval on the jam from my sister and her husband though (same brother in law who says size down), which is a big deal. They are super duper picky. He said my apple was awesome. Now to figure out labels. I've done two and both look horrible on the jar. lol

In my limited experience in this area (only as a casual purchaser), I believe you will fare better with smaller jars in the beginning. You might make a couple of larger size jars for those times when fans of your wares (and I am certain that you will develop fans if you stick with it) ask for larger quantities. JMHO

Last edited:
In my limited experience in this area (only as a casual purchaser), I believe you will fare better with smaller jars in the beginning. You might make a couple of larger size jars for those times when fans of your wares (and I am certain that you will develop fans if you stick with it) ask for larger quantities. JMHO

I agree. I am MUCH more willing to pay a lesser amount for a small jar/package of something I've never tried before than pay more for a big jar/package of something I don't know whether I'll like or not and may end up throwing away.

And the little jelly jars are very cute. If you get the diamond/quilted looking ones you won't have to worry about labels on the jar either. You can just get something to tie around the top with a printed label attached. Or, you can just design something for the top of the jar and stick it on.

Last edited:
V, this has nothing to do with what your thread started out to be, but I would like some information on growing figs. Where you are, I would assume you are probably in California since figs aren't in here yet. I've tried figs for years and now I have 3 small trees that came from my grandmothers place and want to make sure I do the right thing with them. If you don't mind, could you please give me some pointers. As yet, mine are still in very large planters.

V, this has nothing to do with what your thread started out to be, but I would like some information on growing figs. Where you are, I would assume you are probably in California since figs aren't in here yet. I've tried figs for years and now I have 3 small trees that came from my grandmothers place and want to make sure I do the right thing with them. If you don't mind, could you please give me some pointers. As yet, mine are still in very large planters.

I wish I could give pointers. I have no clue. We moved into this house, which is a rental, in February. We didn't even know it was a fig tree growing there, as it didn't have the usual markings. I live in South east Texas and this is a California Kadota fig. We live on water front, and our guess is the unusual windy season is keeping this guy very happy and watered. My Mother in law has grown wonderful fig trees for years though(brown turkey and her current one she can't remember its name), and has never had a crop like this one. She's even baffled. I will talk with her (she's out of town till Tuesday, I believe) and get some info for you.

Thanks guys for replying so fast. I just bought a new box of pints yesterday, along with the little better homes and gardens 8 ozs. I'll take back the pints and exchange them. I thought about getting the little 4 oz ones too. I have 7 strawberry fig, 11 apple fig delight all in pints! I'll probably re-do the apple again instead of making a new patch and just put it in the smaller jars. I know I've read that you can redo patches of jam, but can it hurt it being redone a number of times? this will be the third time (counting the very first cook) on the apple delight.

I've only tasted fresh figs once, when we were visiting friends in Mississippi, and I loved them! I guess they don't ship well, because I've never seen them in the stores up here.
I suggest you do some half-pints and see how they sell. That's a good size for jam, unless you eat it with a spoon, as I've been known to do.

Last edited:
I agree that the smaller jars to start and then if you get a following, have some larger ones for your regulars.

I also agree about putting your label on the lid ... I repurpose jars and getting someone else's label off is always a bugger of a job! I gift my jam and have found people appreciate the lid label. Just another thought ...

Happy jam making!

Lid Label! Good Idea! I hated the two labels I used. Once wet, they disintegrated and the second label was just way too big. I want a photo quality, and wonder if I could get that better in a round lid label.. and bet its easier to get it on straighter too!

Ok, so since fresh figs were brought up... if you were at a trade days/fair/farmer's market and stumbed onto a booth with fig jam that also had fresh figs (picked that morning or the morning before) would you consider purchasing and with in what price range? I'm asking because I seriously have a major amount of figs. I'm not joking. I just picked another full bucket. We missed last nights harvest since we had dinner with my sister. So, that was pretty much what we would have picked last night. That means we will pick another harvest tonight too. I've got three more large bowls full sitting on my counter waiting to be "jammed" that I went through this morning and discarded the ones I thought were turning. I don't know if I'm able to keep up with the tree! ;) After this crop, there is another one that looks even more awesome than the first. We have a branch that we call the happy branch because it has clusters of figs on each leaf. Its heavy as the figs grow it starts to droop. We know that it has ones that are ready because its hanging low.

Anyway... I'm rambling now. got to get busy. I'm gonna go get the smaller jars today. I've got 24 of the 8 oz, but I think I should get a few 4 ozs too. I want to do my blackberry today and I have two batches of strawberry that I have to do before I lose the strawberries. I'll re heat the apple and have at least 12 of them in 8 ozs because I think they are my best product. They taste like christmas.

I'd love to be able to buy fresh picked figs. We occasionally have them in the grocery here but they are usually way over-ripe and all mushy. We have a couple of dishes that call for fresh figs that we both like but don't get to have them often due to not being able to find decent fresh figs.

I've only tasted fresh figs once, when we were visiting friends in Mississippi, and I loved them! I guess they don't ship well, because I've never seen them in the stores up here.
I suggest you do some half-pints and see how they sell. That's a good size for jam, unless you eat it with a spoon, as I've been known to do.

Im in MI and in the early fall a few of the stores here have fresh figs! My kids love them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom