Drinkable Box Wines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I've never been a big fan of boxed wines, but every once in awhile I'll try one on someone's recommendation. Usually I'm disappointed. It's probably because I'm somewhat picky when it comes to wine. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm a snob. I'm really not. Price and prestige doesn't really matter, and I can just as easily enjoy a $7-10 wine as a $20+ bottle - provided it's balanced, well made, and tastes good.

For years I've been waiting for the day when someone would make a good boxed wine. I like the idea of buying wine in bulk and enjoying a glass when I want, without having to worry about storing leftovers, or having it go bad after a few days.

I recently tried some of these "Bota Box" wines from California. This brand just recently became available in my area (Minnesota). I've now had the Merlot, Malbec, and Chardonnay. I have to say they're not bad for what they are. It's ain't Mouton Rothschild, but it is drinkable and decent.

So my question is, have any of you had a box wine you've enjoyed?

Whenever I see the 1 liter boxes with the brand name "Bandit" on them, I always pick up a few. The most common varieties I find are Merlot and Pinot Grigio. Bandit is made by the same fellows behind "Three Thieves," which is a very good "jug wine." Joel Gott, a talented Napa winemaker, is one of the "three thieves." Wines with his name on them cost a lot more than the $7.50 I pay for a box of Bandit.

I grabbed a couple boxes of Bota's Malbec to set out on the patio for our BBQ over Memorial Day weekend; it's very drinkable. I'll have to try the other flavors as well.

I like Two Buck Chuck, too, but don't have a Trader Joe's near enough to be really convenient. So, when we run out of that, my daughter and I have discovered Carlo Rossi Paisano! I was really pleasantly surprised at how very smooth and drinkable it is! It's not in the box, though, it's the "gallon" jug. You can either decant it into smaller bottles and use the VacuVin to cork them, or (I know, but it really works!) open the top of a drained box wine, pry the spigot off of the inner bag, prop the bag with the opening facing up inside of the box, and CAREFULLY pour the wine in, then replace the spigot, then squeeze out the air and replace it into the box to dispense.
It sounds like a lot of work, but I honestly like the way the bag keeps out the air, keeping your wine fresh tasting until it's gone. Plus, it's really convenient to just go grab a glass, whenever, without having to worry about vaccuum sealing your bottle after you pour.
I love a really great bottle of wine, but times are tough! This is perfectly acceptable for me for an ordinary day glass (or several glasses) of wine! For the equivalent of about five bottles of wine, I can usually get my Paisano at the grocery store for about $12.99 on sale; but I can also get it at Sam's club for $9.99...what Two Buck Chuck USED to cost!

Whenever I see the 1 liter boxes with the brand name "Bandit" on them, I always pick up a few. The most common varieties I find are Merlot and Pinot Grigio. Bandit is made by the same fellows behind "Three Thieves," which is a very good "jug wine." Joel Gott, a talented Napa winemaker, is one of the "three thieves." Wines with his name on them cost a lot more than the $7.50 I pay for a box of Bandit.

Where are they sold ?

Count me as one of the many that think 2 buck Chuck is overpriced, sorry.

But TJ's has a lot of fantastic bargains. We drink a Cabernet that's $6.99 for 1.5 bottle. Can't recall it's name right now but when I remember I'll post.

Sometimes you get good batches, and sometimes you don't.

I don't think so. Two Buck Chuick is made by Franzia, maker of many of the REALLY cheap box wines. In fact TBC is just box wine in a bottle, so they're making even more money on it.

One thing that"stuff" (can't bring myself to call it wine) is is consistent. Consistently awful.:wacko:

There is no good reason that box wines should be mediocre at best. The concept is good. A bladder eliminates the oxygen from the container. I don't have much of a problem with wine going bad, but I would like to see higher quality wines sold in soft containers.

Well, regardless, I've had terrible bottles of TBC and some decent ones from identical bottles.
But regardless of how good some boxed wines can be I have a mental issue with them.

I like the idea of buying wine in bulk and enjoying a glass when I want, without having to worry about storing leftovers, or having it go bad after a few days.

I've never seen a bottle of wine survive long enough to go bad. :D

I also enjoy Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw winery from Trader Joe's Markets) and I haven't noticed any inconsistency. However I drink mostly the Chardonnay and I think it's quite possible that other varieties might be less consistent, or at least I have no way of knowing since I don't drink them much.

I think there occasions when really nice wines are called for, but for just the same stuff different day type of days I'm happy enough to sip an economy wine like TBC. If I were rich perhaps I'd drink the fancy stuff every day but alas I'm not.

Don't live anywhere near a TBC place. I've had it at places that buy it by multiple cases. It's $3 or more by the time it makes it to the boonies. I buy box wine for every-day and big parties. Decant it and no one complains. Some I don't like, some I'm fine with.

We get Almaden's Cab Sav. and their Chardonnay in the box. For a fairly decent wine, we stumbled on Michael Mondavi Oberon Cab Sav. '09. About $20/bottle.

I've never seen a bottle of wine survive long enough to go bad. :D

I also enjoy Two Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw winery from Trader Joe's Markets) and I haven't noticed any inconsistency. However I drink mostly the Chardonnay and I think it's quite possible that other varieties might be less consistent, or at least I have no way of knowing since I don't drink them much.

I think there occasions when really nice wines are called for, but for just the same stuff different day type of days I'm happy enough to sip an economy wine like TBC. If I were rich perhaps I'd drink the fancy stuff every day but alas I'm not.
Greg, if you like 2-buck Chuck, you can save a lot of money by buying the Franzia boxed Chardonnay instead. They are exactly the same thing. Bronco wines owns both companies and bottles both from the same vats. In your case, you are paying extra for the bottles!

Back
Top Bottom