TGIFriday 6/10 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've got some country style ribs that I boiled until falling off the bone, so I'm thinking maybe some BBQ sauce caramelized on them might be good, along with some small red potatoes cooked in the same broth.

What are you cooking (or not) this Friday?:chef:

I might cut up the strip steak loin I bought last week. If so, I will grill a steak.

Since I ate lunch around 9:00 this morning (bacon, egg, tomato sandwich on toast), I'll probably go with leftover hummus and pita for my mid-afternoon snack and then maybe some tomatoes with fresh basil and moz. cheese for my before bed snack...

Tomorrow, I get to eat at normal times so I'll be in the kitchen cooking tomorrow and baking on Sunday...

Last edited:
We are possibly going out to dinner with our son and his girlfriend. The yungun comes home from Philly today and may come too. Still in the planning stage. If it falls through, I have some brats that can be cooked up rather quickly.

Sesame chicken with steamed rice and Asian style vegetables, and I've got this 2010 Crios de Susana Balbo Rosé of Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina I've been dying to try

Moussaka this evening! Dug up a nice looking recipe. Never sure about the nutmeg in the white sauce though... might leave that out.

Moussaka this evening! Dug up a nice looking recipe. Never sure about the nutmeg in the white sauce though... might leave that out.

A pinch of nutmeg in Bechamél is standard. Not so much that you taste nutmeg over everything else, just as a background flavor. There is also no harm in leaving it out.

Tonight will be my first attempt at beer can chicken. What ideas do you guys have for seasonings for this? Some recipes say just basic salt pepper, etc. And other recipes say to use a rub. What do you think? Thanks.

Tonight will be my first attempt at beer can chicken. What ideas do you guys have for seasonings for this? Some recipes say just basic salt pepper, etc. And other recipes say to use a rub. What do you think? Thanks.
Our favorite rub for chicken is Kansas City Rub.

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne
Of course, you can adjust this based on your preference or availability of ingredients...

You will probably have some left over that will keep forever if stored in a dry, tightly sealed container

Last edited:

Since this is your first time, I'd recommend keeping it simple, just s&p. The beer adds a lot of flavor to the meat.

Thanks to you both. You are so quick! :). I do have the ingredients for the rub, and I am still deciding if I should go with that or just s&p. What kind of beer do you suggest?

I'm cooking grilled chicken drumsticks. Any suggestions in sauces and side dishes? ;-)

Thanks to you both. You are so quick! :). I do have the ingredients for the rub, and I am still deciding if I should go with that or just s&p. What kind of beer do you suggest?

The only time I had BCC it was made with Budweiser. It was very good. I'd guess any good beer. Like they say with wine, cook with what you like to drink.

If I were to make it now, I'd probably go with something special so I could enjoy the rest of the 6 or 12 pack.:LOL:

Zhizara said:
The only time I had BCC it was made with Budweiser. It was very good. I'd guess any good beer. Like they say with wine, cook with what you like to drink.

If I were to make it now, I'd probably go with something special so I could enjoy the rest of the 6 or 12 pack.:LOL:

Guess I will have my son get whatever he wants to drink. I don't drink beer ( allergic to the hops or something), but he sure does like it! Thanks.

My rub is like the one Rock posted, but without the sugar and onion powder.
Also, after I mix up the rub in a bowl, I add just enough worcestershire to make it a paste and rub the bird with that. It works very well.

And I love beer, but not in my beer can chicken :LOL: My favorite liquid is white pop, like sprite or 7 up. Or white wine with herbage like rosemary or something.

Thanks Pacanis, the white wine is a great idea too. Sounds like I will be making this chicken several times before I decide how we like it best. Tonight I will go with beer and I am thinking s&p and maybe a little something else for some kick. I will save the rub and the 7-up and the wine for other times, but all the ideas are great. Maybe a little cayenne tonight, but not so much as to hide the flavor from the beer. So many chickens running around in my head. :D

Take-out for us tonight. To lazy to cook.

SO will have a turkey club and I'll have a steak bomb and spicy fries.

Steak bomb? What is that?

I'm still trying to get a fix on how many will be home for dinner. I'm thinking it will be 3 of us. If so...its going to be cod. Unbattered, fried in bacon grease and sprinkled with s&p. I am off to the produce market so I'll see what I find for our veggie tonight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom