PattY1's Three Bean Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Three Bean Salad

1 can green beans (if you find Italian (flat green beans), that would be great) salt free

1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 can cannelloni beans or white northern beans will be fine
rinsed and drained.

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil, olive oil would be great if you were not planning on refrigerating, it congeals.

1/3 cup sugar
salt and pepper and dried dill weed to taste
1 green pepper chopped (optional)
1 small purple onion cut in slivers

Mix vinegar, oil, sugar, dill weed, salt and pepper to until sugar melts. Mix in rest ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at
least 8 hours.

Patty,
This salad with many variations is a summer staple at my house. I have not made it yet this summer but, I started to think about it when I saw your cold plate post. Keeping a bowl of it in the fridg. as a quick "plate filler" helps keep me away from the chips.

Try swapping out the green beans for a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I cook the frozen vegetables just long enough to thaw them and then put them directly into the dressing.

Thanks for the reminder.
B

Last edited:
looks good patty. i just happened upon a few cans of red and canneloni beans yesterday and was going to make a chilli. seeing your recipe, though, i think i'll make a version of your salad (i have n green beans). thanks. :chef:

3 bean salad is good, but if you want to bring dessert and exercise to the party, toss in jelly and Mexican Jumping.

This is going off topic--years ago, my brother made a 3-bean salad using fresh green beans, wax beans, and canned garbanzo beans. The dressing was with curry. He can't find the recipe, but it was the best 3-bean salad I've ever eaten. Does anyone have a recipe for 3-bean salad that uses curry in the dressing? I've tried to recreate this recipe, but something is missing, it isn't the same as my brother's. I think he got the recipe from Chatelaine or Canadian Living in the late '80s or early '90s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom