Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cakes & Cupcakes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/)
-   -   Weird - Cheesecake with Cardamom?? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/weird-cheesecake-with-cardamom-72868.html)

Saphellae 06-11-2011 11:22 AM

Weird - Cheesecake with Cardamom??

I was at a conference the last few days for work and one of the desserts they served was cheesecake. I was so excited ! I took one bite and went, UGH!!! They had put bits of cardamom in it ! Has anyone ever tried anything like this? To me, cardamom is one of those things that you love or hate.. sort of like when cilantro tastes like soap to some people. To me, cardamom tastes like dirty scented soap.

Andy M. 06-11-2011 12:22 PM

I know what you mean. I'm one who thinks cilantro tastes like soap.

I have used a couple of different kinds of cardamom in savory and sweet dishes. Never had a problem. I don't know if I ever had it in a cheesecake.

CWS4322 06-11-2011 12:27 PM

Being of Scandinavian descent, cardamon is a staple in my kitchen. I add it to waffles, french toast, bread, glogg mix, rice pudding, krumkake....oh--gosh, so many things. I don't think the addition of cardamon in a cheesecake is weird. I think I'd like it <g>.

Rocklobster 06-11-2011 01:12 PM

Cardamom reminds me of 7 up. I don't know why. Whenever I crush some in my mortar I always think of that soda pop. I can see how it would go with cheesecake...Not much different than cinnamon with meat IMHO....

CWS4322 06-11-2011 08:35 PM

Cardamon reminds me of Christmas and making krumkake with my grandma...I guess cardamon is like peat bogs burning...the smell of home and love.

Saphellae 06-11-2011 08:37 PM

I love cilantro Andy, although if you had asked me two years ago before I started making my own salsa, I would have said, BLECH !!! SOAP!!!

Cardamom though.. just.. blech... lol.. I really don't think I would use it, ever! I understand it is part of some cultures though and totally appreciate that - it's just not for me! lol

CWS4322 06-11-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphellae (Post 1010750)
I love cilantro Andy, although if you had asked me two years ago before I started making my own salsa, I would have said, BLECH !!! SOAP!!!

Cardamom though.. just.. blech... lol.. I really don't think I would use it, ever! I understand it is part of some cultures though and totally appreciate that - it's just not for me! lol

I'm going to share a recipe with you that has cardamon in it and challenge you to try it <g>. I just have to figure out which of the many recipes I have that use cardamon that it will be.

Saphellae 06-11-2011 09:00 PM

lol OK :) I prefer a recipe with few ingredients, I try to keep things simple around here :) And not very expensive ingredients if you please!! :)
I am up for the challenge!

PrincessFiona60 06-11-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1010758)
I'm going to share a recipe with you that has cardamon in it and challenge you to try it <g>. I just have to figure out which of the many recipes I have that use cardamon that it will be.

How about subbing it for nutmeg? Small amount, slowly introduce.:rolleyes:

Saphellae 06-11-2011 09:10 PM

I would, but I use my nutmeg about once every 1.5 years! lol