Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Salads & Salad Dressings (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Coleslaw--oops! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/coleslaw-oops-72869.html)

CWS4322 06-11-2011 01:36 PM

Coleslaw--oops!

I generally make creamy coleslaw dressing using mayo, buttermilk or sour cream, a bit of sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, a dash of chilpolte pepper, and celery seed. Oops, I grabbed dill seed instead of celery seed...it was VERY good. I think I'll used dill seed from now on.

What's your favorite way to make coleslaw dressing?

dcSaute 06-11-2011 02:20 PM

>>favorite . . .

all of the above, and then some.

dill seed is a nice change up - try also fresh dill

or ground anise
or poppy seed

a little heat is good - I threaten it with cayenne

don't forget sweet pickle relish

add a drop or three of sesame oil

if you're doing a fine cabbage dice - try it as a "slaw stuffed tomato" - oh, poke a hole in the bottom of the tomato so anything 'too juicy' can run out.....

I do a baked prosciutto lined slaw stuffed green pepper with feta crumble topping. a lot of prep but a flavorful side.

Rocklobster 06-11-2011 02:22 PM

Pretty standard here. Mayo, oil, sugar, salt....

My mother uses a recipe with tumeric. Not creamy at all, more of a vinagarette type dressing. It keeps crispy for a long time....

Chief Longwind Of The North 06-11-2011 02:37 PM

I like my Cole slaw wet and juicy instead of creamy. To make it, I grate a head of cabbage (purple or green depending on my mood, mine 1 yellow onion and combine the two into a bowl. I add 2 grated carrots. And the, I add just enough Miracle Whip Salad Dressing to coat. Add 3 tbs sugar (or sucralose sweetener) and 1/2 cup ice water. stir until everything is combined. Let sit in the fridge until very cold. Serve on a hot summer day with whatever you're going to grill or fry.

My slaw is so juicy, it almost quenches your thirst. It's very refreshing.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

justplainbill 06-11-2011 03:11 PM

Mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, sugar, pepper, grated horseradish. Cabbage is shredded on a cabbage shredding board that is also used to shred cabbage for making sauerkraut. Cole slaw is marinated for at least 8 hours. Most important ingredient is a good cabbage; does not work if the cabbage is too dry or woody. Ideally it comes out crunchy but creamy and juicy.

Rocklobster 06-11-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1010593)
Pretty standard here. Mayo, oil, sugar, salt....

My mother uses a recipe with tumeric. Not creamy at all, more of a vinagarette type dressing. It keeps crispy for a long time....

oops. forgot to add vinegar

Aunt Bea 06-11-2011 03:15 PM

Try swapping out the sour cream for greek style yogurt. It saves many many calories and tastes great.

merstar 06-11-2011 04:41 PM

Besides the standard mayonnaise/vinegar/sugar/celery seed version, I sometimes do an Asian version with cilantro, red bell pepper, and scallions added to the cabbage, tossed with a dressing of lime juice, fresh ginger, cumin powder, hot pepper flakes, a little vinegar, a little mayonnaise, and soy sauce, dark sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil.

justplainbill 06-11-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merstar (Post 1010643)
Besides the standard mayonnaise/vinegar/sugar/celery seed version, I sometimes do an Asian version with cilantro, red bell pepper, and scallions added to the cabbage, tossed with a dressing of lime juice, fresh ginger, cumin powder, hot pepper flakes, a little vinegar, a little mayonnaise, and soy sauce, dark sesame oil and extra virgin olive oil.

For an Asian version, perhaps you should use Napa cabbage?

CWS4322 06-11-2011 09:32 PM

I generally use buttermilk instead of sour cream. And, if the greek yogurt had been closer to the front of the fridge, I might have grabbed that instead of the buttermilk. All your variations sound great!