American/Western dishes without milk&cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I'm suspecting that my new born daughter is allergic to cow's milk protein, because she tends to spit out quite a lot after breastfeeding, while she doesn't after drinking soy based formula.

So I need to figure out a diet without or with minimal amount of cow's milk proteins to test out my theory. However I realized that western dishes are very heavily depend upon milk and cheese. Such as: mac n cheese, many types of pasta dish, a lot of sauces, pizza, etc. I'm going to revert back to chinese cooking since there's no milk or cheese at all in it, but I still want to be able to make some western dishes to make her feel more comfortable.

Things I can think of :

chicken n dumplings
fish n chips (too greasy for breastfeeding, though)
cube steak
burger with no cheese
steaks
blackened fish

Can someone give me more ideas please:)

Hyperion, you have a narrow view of Western foods if you think they are predominantly dairy.

Tomato based pasta sauces are dairy free. Just skip the grated cheese. Pasta with a garlic and olive oil sauce is also OK.

Simple meals of a cooked protein (meat, fish or poultry) accompanied by a starch and vegetable will do.

All kinds of salads and soups.

You could do stir-fries using Western ingredients and seasonings in place of Asian.

Hi there. I had the same problem with my daughter when she was a baby. I tried everything from soy milk to strained oats. Goats milk was the only milk she would keep in. Good luck and hope you find an answer that works for you!

Hyperion, I am confused. If your daughter is breastfed, why do you need recipes for food? Is it for Mom?

And don't be too quick to limit anything just yet, babies digestive systems mature quickly and they will stop throwing up so regularly.

P.S I also found that cultured milk like yoghurt and buttermilk had a posstive effect. The body can digest it better that whole milk.

Hyperion, I think you are overthinking this, which is normal for new parents, BTW. First, if you want to succeed with breastfeeding, don't be using formula

(soy or otherwise) as well. That is especially important in the new born phase. Second, there are very few things that make it through the human milk production process that can cause an allergic reaction or distress. Spitting up is a natural part of the digestive system figuring out which way stuff goes. Unless she is actually distressed/uncomfortble or failing to thrive and gain weight, just keep some wipes handy. We are very quick to look for allergies and food intolerances, to the detriment of the kids.

Hyerion. Here is a great resrouce for dealing with food sensitivities and breastfeeding.

kellymom.com :: Dairy and other Food Sensitivities in Breastfed Babies

If your baby is just spitting up, there are probably other reasons. As Nora said, if she's screaming, vomiting, etc, then it could be an allergy or acid reflux.

If you think it's your diet, try bland foods like grilled chicken, steamed veggies, potatoes and rice. No butter if you are eliminating dairy. Be careful of breads because many of them do have butter in them.

thanks!

we saw the doc and he told me to switch to a soy based formula for breastmilk supplement. she does fine with it, not excessive spitting up. now she seems fine with breastmilk too

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom