Ground pork - sticking too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
I usually have a big headache for cooking ground pork. When I brown them, they really stick together and form those little balls rather than staying in the ground form like ground beef does. So when I make bolognese sauce for instance, I get lumps of meat rather than a uniformly distributed meat paste. I might be able to shred them up with a stick blender, but for other dishes/application I can't use stick blender.

How does everyone else deal with this stickiness of ground pork?

I usually have a big headache for cooking ground pork. When I brown them, they really stick together and form those little balls rather than staying in the ground form like ground beef does. So when I make bolognese sauce for instance, I get lumps of meat rather than a uniformly distributed meat paste. I might be able to shred them up with a stick blender, but for other dishes/application I can't use stick blender.

How does everyone else deal with this stickiness of ground pork?
Try using a non stick pan when you brown the meat.

Also butter & Olive Oil together will help out a lot.

When I'm browning ground meat in a skillet/sauté pan, I'm continually breaking down the chunks of meat into smaller pieces using a wood spatula with a flat edge. The same routine for pork and beef.

When I'm browning ground meat in a skillet/sauté pan, I'm continually breaking down the chunks of meat into smaller pieces using a wood spatula with a flat edge. The same routine for pork and beef.
I do the same as Andy, And if you have a vita mix machine You can use it to grind the ground pork that way.

Just read the directions.

Yep. What he ^ said. :)
It's a constant; break apart, flip some, break some more, a little chopping action, a stir around the pan to redistribute the juices. I don't notice any difference between pork or beef. And I also start with a little lubricant. Usually EVOO, just to get things going. Especially if I am using SS. Not so much with non-stick, just a touch.

Buy (or grind) pork with a higher fat content.....tune the heat down to let it render....or as mentioned...start with a little fat in the pan........

Fun!

I usually cook onions with my ground pork, so I found that just enough water to barely cover the onions. The ground pork comes apart better in the water. It can be browned after draining the water/fat off.

I usually cook onions with my ground pork, so I found that just enough water to barely cover the onions. The ground pork comes apart better in the water. It can be browned after draining the water/fat off.
Now you know what I do Zhizara.

What I do to get free ground pork.

Buy 3 spare ribs from Sam's club. Trim the Ribs into St Louis cut's, Cook the ribs, While the ribs cook. Take out the cartilage from the left of scrap meat And then throw the scrap meat into the Kitchen aid grinder attachment. Grind twice and then freeze the meat till later.

I don't have a KA, but I buy the cheapest ground sausage and use that. It's only lightly seasoned.

Back
Top Bottom