What to do with duck fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
my friend gave me some duck fat that comes in a fancy package so I can make something for our next card game night. She says that a lot of restaurants fry french fries in such, also suggested making potato pancakes with it.

What else do you suggest that I make?

most anything you normally saute or pan fry in butter or oil could be transformed into your next favorite food once anointed with duck fat. roasted vegetables love to nestle in simmering juices where duck fat has been added. try frying some dark bread slices in rendered duck fat. or never mind the frying and spread the fat on a piece of sour dough or good rye bread. good stuff!

OMG...I make duck every Christmas day, and have never saved the fat for other things! Who knew??? :ROFLMAO:

Make Sarladaise potatoes, thin round slices of potatoes sauted in rich duck fat with more than a hint of garlic and parsley.

Make duck confit, a traditional way of slow poaching duck legs in duck fat where the rich tender meat falls right off the bone.

Both are wonderful French dishes typically served together. Both are from the Perigord region in the southwest of France -- the area known for their ducks, foie gras, and truffles.

You can find many recipes for these online.

I have to say I especially like eggs fried in duck fat. :chef:
I was going to suggest that.....one of the few ways I truly love eggs. Then again, anything fried in duck fat is so much better. All these ideas are great.

A good appetizer is to take scallops, lightly salt and pepper them and sear gently in duck fat. Don't use too much fat, just enough to give them a nice sear on the ends. Oh, I want some right now! :angel:

I was going to suggest that.....one of the few ways I truly love eggs. Then again, anything fried in duck fat is so much better. All these ideas are great.

A good appetizer is to take scallops, lightly salt and pepper them and sear gently in duck fat. Don't use too much fat, just enough to give them a nice sear on the ends. Oh, I want some right now! :angel:

i intend to put both of these delish ideas on my waiting table just as soon as my shipment of duck fat gets here. i placed an order, my first, for duck fat as a subscribe and save item from amazon earlier today. so, every three months i will be receiving 6 little 1.5 ounce containers of duck fat in my mail box. can't wait....:)

i would also suggest croutons tossed in the fat before baking. if you have the ability you can sous vide with the duck fat it doesnt take much that way.

I've had duck one once or twice but never duck fat. The hubby doesn't like duck (for reasons I well understand) but all these ideas sound really interesting. I might have to get together with dad and try one or two of these. I think mom doesn't like duck either so her and the hubby can go out for dinner. :)

The first time I had duck was from a Chinese restaurant when I was in my early 20's. My ironic reaction was that it was way too greasy for my tastes. Years later I end up in culinary school and find out that the "grease" is almost the best part! :rolleyes:

I've had duck one once or twice but never duck fat. The hubby doesn't like duck (for reasons I well understand) but all these ideas sound really interesting. I might have to get together with dad and try one or two of these. I think mom doesn't like duck either so her and the hubby can go out for dinner. :)

You mean you don't have a box of mac'n cheese for those that don't want the entree? They have to go OUT for dinner???

I grew up eating mallard. I have only cooked "farmed" duck a few times. It definitely has more body fat than mallard. But then, we used to skin our ducks and take the legs and breasts. My aunt and grandma would roast duck--and wild goose. They would drape bacon over the breasts of these birds to add fat. I am rather fond of mallard...not terribly fond of the bead of buckshot one would encounter more often than not.

I have many memories of sitting on the backstep in the garage at my uncle's plucking ducks and geese with my cousins (and saving the breast feathers-down for my grandma. She made pillows). And, I've been out duck hunting at dawn with my father, brothers, and cousins. Cold, dark...I don't miss those mornings. Our dog loved to hunt--he didn't mind breaking through the ice to get the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom