Turkey in Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
TURKEY IN GRAVY

3 turkey drumsticks
5 C chicken stock

Add more water if necessary to cover drumsticks.
Add bullion instead of salt if needed.

Boil on med low for about an hour until you can see the bones.

Remove drumsticks, cool and strip. The tendons are pretty tough, so pull the meat off the tendons. If it doesn’t come off pretty easy, toss it, it will be too tough.

Melt butter in frying pan with equal amount of flour, cook and stir a couple of minutes, then add stock gradually. Add stripped turkey meat and stir, then turn heat down to lowest simmer, cover and let bubble for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Serve with Wild Rice and fresh cornbread.

Last edited:
I love it, but couldn't do it that way. Here's how I make as my wife just won't eat dark meat. Here's how I make mine, every time.

Roast one 20 lb. turkey until meat reads 160' F. Remove and let rest. Carve the turkey. Save juices from carved turkey. While the turkey is roasting, simmer the neck, and giblets for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper as needed. There should be 2 cups of good broth. Remove the neck and strip off the meat. Chop and add back into the broth. DW won't eat giblets so slat them, let cool, and munch them down. Chop one onion and add to the broth. Keep warm enough to be safe.

When the turkey is carved, heat 3 tbs. butter in a pan until bubbling. Add 3 tbs. flour and stir together. Season with S & P, and 1/4 tsp. sage. Stir the roux for about 3 minutes to remove the raw-flour flavor. Slowly whisk in enough broth to make a thin paste. Add the paste to the broth while stirring, and bring to a low boil. Stir as it's heating. You will have perfect gravy suitable for open faced turkey sandwiches, or to put over stuffing, smashed spuds, rice, or whatever you like turkey gravy on.

When carving the turkey, remove the breasts whole. Carve across the meat grain into thin slices. Bag and refrigerate. Now you have a bunch of turkey lunch meat. To the same with the thighs. Remove as one large chunk of met from the thigh bone, and slice for sandwiches. The drumstick meat makes wonderful turkey salad, or soup. And don't forget that wonderful meat from the back. Munch it as soon as your cut it from the carcass. Use the carcass to make turkey soup.

If there are too few in your house to make short work of a 20+lb. turkey, roast one anyway. Bag and freeze the extra for another day.:chef:;)

And if you happen to have a webber kettle, Use the indirect method with two banks of charcoal and a drip pan. Add mapel or apple wood to make smoke. Close all vents by half and let that baby roast in the smoke to temp. Use the dripping in the drip pan to add to the broth made from the neck and giblets, and the juices collected from carving the bird. Follow the previous directions for using the turkey meat and be amazed.:D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom