Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Food I HATED as a kid, like/love it today... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/food-i-hated-as-a-kid-like-love-it-today-73248.html)

vitauta 06-27-2011 06:13 PM

Food I HATED as a kid, like/love it today...

it's still hard for me to reconcile my picky-eater-kid-self of yesteryear with the "foodie" of today who is hard pressed to name a single food she won't eat. here are just a few of the things i would not touch as a child - and spent many long sessions seated at the table after meals as a punishment for it:

liver
stuffed peppers
olives - i wouldn't eat one for a dollar! (big money, once)
yogurt
blue cheese
cheesecake
sweet potatoes
fish, of any kind

what are some of yours?

Hyperion 06-27-2011 06:34 PM

I still hate bluecheese lol. when i first had mac n cheese at 16 yo I almost threw up, but now I can eat a lot of it.

The OutDoor Chef 06-27-2011 06:37 PM

Mine would be the opposite now.

The food when I was a kid I love would be The jelly and Peanut butter in the same Jar.

Now I hate it as an adult.

That's pretty much it that I can recall right now.

pacanis 06-27-2011 06:48 PM

Me in blue :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitauta (Post 1017113)
it's still hard for me to reconcile my picky-eater-kid-self of yesteryear with the "foodie" of today who is hard pressed to name a single food she won't eat. here are just a few of the things i would not touch as a child - and spent many long sessions seated at the table after meals as a punishment for it:

liver- I loved beef liver and still do, but won't eat chicken liver and never have. Just don't smother the beef liver in onions. Floured and cooked in bacon grease is just fine.
stuffed peppers- I never ate anything stuffed as a kid. No peppers, no pigs in a blanket (golumpki/cabbage rolls), no stuffed pork chops even. I would eat a chicken dinner, but not a stuffed cornish hen... Gawd I must have been nuts. :lol: Love 'em all now.
olives - i wouldn't eat one for a dollar!- As a kid, only black, now black, green, anything...
yogurt- I don't believe yogurt ever entered the house as a kid. And I'm just starting to use it in sauces now.
blue cheese- As a kid I never touched any cheese with a smell to it. Maybe baby swiss. Now, bring it on.
cheesecake- I was chocolate cake with chocolate frosting only. Pretty much still am, because I just don't get into cakes or pies. Not a dessert guy, but I have dabbled.
sweet potatoes- Blech. I tried them just a month ago or so even. They look good, but way too sweet (for a potato) for me.
fish, of any kind- I always ate the basic fish. Nothing raw as a kid (basically just oysters back then) and I have eaten sushi, but I'm not exactly living in the sushi/fresh seafood mecca of PA here :lol: So I'm saying I never developed a taste for raw fish. You won't see raw fish on my five foods I can't do without list. :wink:

what are some of yours?

Keeping in blue...
Basically green veggies.
As a kid I would not eat peas, asparagus, B sprouts, cabbage (cooked) and my parents could not outlast me at the table either :angel: I still remember sitting at the table with a plate of peas in front of me :lol:
Blech on lima beans, too. And you won't find any in my pantry or freezer today.
Oh, leafy lettuce. I'm only now OK with eating romaine. And that's only because I like to have some onhand to grill. It seems to last longer than iceberg. No leafy lettuce as a kid though. I guess I liked anything green I was eating to crunch.

Barbara L 06-27-2011 07:06 PM

Eggs. :cool:

Dawgluver 06-27-2011 07:16 PM

Meat (including chicken) of any kind with any perceived fat on it. Other than bacon. One type of food even touching another on the plate. All foods had to be separated.

Now I put together the strangest combinations, and like my meat well-marbled.

I continue to dislike Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and liver.

jennyema 06-27-2011 07:17 PM

I ate everything and still do, bit my relationship with pork has improved.

Zhizara 06-27-2011 07:20 PM

Peas. I still can't stand them if they've been frozen unless they are leftovers from canned. I admit they are pretty, but the texture is too mealy for me.

I never had chick peas as a youngster, but they have the same unpleasant (to me) texture.

merstar 06-27-2011 07:27 PM

Olives
Aged cheese
Dark chocolate
Beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower

Andy M. 06-27-2011 08:41 PM

Butternut squash. It used to make me puke. Now I love it.

There are lots of things I still hate. That's another subject.