Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fruit & Nuts (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Tomato Bacon pie tnt (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/tomato-bacon-pie-tnt-73290.html)

kadesma 06-29-2011 07:04 PM

Tomato Bacon pie tnt

I use a store bought pie shell. I sprinkle the pie shell with 1/2 lb crisp crumbled bacon. Cover the bacon with 3 sliced tomatoes overlaping them Now sprinkle with 1 tea chopped torn basil and 4 tab. chopped chives salt and pepper Mix 1 cup mayo and 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese frost the top of the pie and bake at 400 for 25 min.
enjoy
kades:smile:

Dawgluver 06-29-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadesma
I use a store bought pie shell. I sprinkle the pie shell with 1/2 lb crisp crumbled bacon. Cover the bacon with 3 sliced tomatoes overlaping them Now sprinkle with 1 tea chopped torn basil and 4 tab. chopped chives salt and pepper Mix 1 cup mayo and 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese frost the top of the pie and bake at 400 for 25 min.
enjoy
kades:smile:

That sounds really good! C and P. Thanks, Kades!

Will it work with low fat Hellman's mayo, and does it freeze? My mom would love this, but will not be here during tomato season.

FrankZ 06-29-2011 08:15 PM

Umm.. bacon and pie? Oh my.. :smile:

PrincessFiona60 06-30-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankZ (Post 1017963)
Umm.. bacon and pie? Oh my.. :smile:

That's what I was thinking...copied and pasted...bacon, tomatoes...cheese, what's not to love? Thanks, Kades!

chopper 06-30-2011 12:04 PM

I bet this is really good for some, but for me, you could have put it on the Fear Factor thread. Funny how people have such different tastes. I am going to give this idea to a friend whom I know will just love this. Thanks. :)

kadesma 06-30-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1017943)
That sounds really good! C and P. Thanks, Kades!

Will it work with low fat Hellman's mayo, and does it freeze? My mom would love this, but will not be here during tomato season.

Yes the low fat will work just fine. Freezing I'm not sure as we never have any left to freeze but I'd give it a try and see.,
Kades

kadesma 06-30-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopper (Post 1018101)
I bet this is really good for some, but for me, you could have put it on the Fear Factor thread. Funny how people have such different tastes. I am going to give this idea to a friend whom I know will just love this. Thanks. :)

It sure is, we all have our likes and dislikes. What do you love in a savory pie? I hope your friend likes this recipe.
kades

Andy M. 06-30-2011 12:38 PM

kades, This sounds great. I'm going to make it this summer. I was wondering about all the moisture in the tomato. How do you keep it from making the crust soggy?

kadesma 06-30-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1018116)
kades, This sounds great. I'm going to make it this summer. I was wondering about all the moisture in the tomato. How do you keep it from making the crust soggy?

Andy I lay the tomatoes on several layers of paper towels. Sometimes it takes several different lsyers and sometimes it doesn't work well When this happens I just live wit it and eat fast:lol: It helps to partially cook the crust which i do.
kades

Rocklobster 06-30-2011 12:53 PM

Good yummy pie! I used to make something similar in large pans for the restaurant. I added a few eggs to help bind it a bit, which helps to incorporate that extra tomato liquid, and then, I put the bacon on top so it would crisp up while baking....
You could also sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs on the bottom to help soak up the moisture, if it is a problem. You barely notice it when you are eating it.