Christening party for 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoraC

Senior Cook
I am putting together a Christening party for about 45, date TBD, the Sunday following the birth (as long as it is more than 2 days following), I am the grandmother and labor coach, so fully intend to be at the Christening, not in the kitchen! I have lined up 8 waffle irons and laid out the circuits for power to use them all. I plan a yeast batter and a lighter whipped egg white batter, with "pour your own" plans and a "dress your own" station or two. It will be a brunch, served at about noon, so I am thinking lots of fresh fruits, a fried chicken and gravy, and the normal syrups as toppings, with sausage and bacon as sides and Bloody Mary's Virgin Mary's, Mimosa's, OJ punch, a coffee drink of some persuasion to drink. My son, the father, will hopefully be free from Army responsibilities for the festivities and is quite a good cook, but anything he does/performs/flambes will have to be done at the last minute.

What would you plan, if asked for a waffle Christening party (by your beloved daughter in law)? I don't want to miss out on a good idea for this grandson.

It sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Since you are including sausage and bacon, you might like to include a pan of scrambled eggs, if you have a way to keep it warm.

your granddaughter-in-law is going to have 45 babies?

i think that's a record!!!! you're a heck of a coach!

lol, sorry norac, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Only one topping that I would add for the waffles, and only because it was a favorite at my youngest granddaughter's blessing party. I had made some home-made chocolate buttercream frosting for a birthday cake, and had some left over. It was in the fridge at my dd's house. Someone at the party found it and tasted it. I made it a little over the top by adding 3/4 of a jar of Nutella to the frosting (huge hit on the cake). The person who found the frosting tasted it. The bowl came out of the fridge and people started looking for something to put it on. They found a box of graham crackers and it became the prefered food at the party. A few people took small bowls and filled them with the frosting, and were eating it with spoons!:LOL: I was somewhat amazed at people's reactions to this simple frosting. It would go great on yeasty waffles.

Can you imagine dipping strawberries in it and placing on a waffle?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

To be honest what you have planned already sounds amazing. I think you've got the essentials covered.

Nora, I agree that it sounds like you have everything under control. Goodweeds frosting story brought another idea to mind however.

This is simple, and always a hit for dipping strawberries and pineapple chunks. It would even be great on top of your waffles......

Mix together:
One jar of marshmallow fluff
One 8oz container of whipped cream cheese
That's it!

It's surprising that this simple combination is perfect, with just the right amount of sweetness.

Have a wonderful time!

if you can rustle up an assistant - poached egg on waffle is a fav of mine . . .

the rest sounds great!

I love the frosting and fluff toppings! dc, I could probably get my son to poach a few on demand. I don't have chickens anymore, but have several friends who could contribute the laid today variety which are so easy to poach. Great idea and solves the egg question. I have a chafer, but really don't like chafer stable scrambled eggs.

Christening accomplished! Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

Kayelle and Goodweed, your toppings were big hits. I didn't get any takers for the poached eggs, but they were outstanding in a tomato aspic for lunch the next day. I added a Bananas Foster topping, because is just sounded so good - and was.

Lesson learned: it is not enough to test the outlets and circuits, you have to also test the power strips you add at the last minute to make the table set up look prettier. Had to take one iron off line at the last minute. OTOH, with a nine o'clock baptism, the last party guest did not leave until almost 2. I am sure it was the food and not the company, LOL.

Only one topping that I would add for the waffles, and only because it was a favorite at my youngest granddaughter's blessing party. I had made some home-made chocolate buttercream frosting for a birthday cake, and had some left over. It was in the fridge at my dd's house. Someone at the party found it and tasted it. I made it a little over the top by adding 3/4 of a jar of Nutella to the frosting (huge hit on the cake). The person who found the frosting tasted it. The bowl came out of the fridge and people started looking for something to put it on. They found a box of graham crackers and it became the prefered food at the party. A few people took small bowls and filled them with the frosting, and were eating it with spoons!:LOL: I was somewhat amazed at people's reactions to this simple frosting. It would go great on yeasty waffles.

Can you imagine dipping strawberries in it and placing on a waffle?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How could THAT be bad? Without making frosting, though, Nutella is a great waffle topping, and would be a fun addition to your brunch buffet.

And Mazel Tov on your new grandchild! :)

Kayelle, poached eggs in aspic are an old timey ladies luncheon dish. It is what is sounds like. The key is a well flavored base stock, clarified, with a bit of gelatin added. You put a bit of aspic in your mold and let it set, then add any garnish you like (chicken tarragon stock for me, so a few tarragon leaves and a bit of lemon zest, because I like lemon and tarragon together) set the eggs on the garnishes, cover with the liquid aspic, chill until set, unmold and enjoy. I hadn't thought about it in years and it is a bit fussy, but if you have the eggs and plenty of stock in the freezer, the hot weather we are having calls it to mind.

I like waffles with stewed dried fruit and greek yogurt, easy to prep ahead!
Bolognaise sauce is also good on waffles with grated cheese.
Butterscotch sauce with banana etc....

But all your ideas sound great!

Kayelle, poached eggs in aspic are an old timey ladies luncheon dish. It is what is sounds like. The key is a well flavored base stock, clarified, with a bit of gelatin added. You put a bit of aspic in your mold and let it set, then add any garnish you like (chicken tarragon stock for me, so a few tarragon leaves and a bit of lemon zest, because I like lemon and tarragon together) set the eggs on the garnishes, cover with the liquid aspic, chill until set, unmold and enjoy. I hadn't thought about it in years and it is a bit fussy, but if you have the eggs and plenty of stock in the freezer, the hot weather we are having calls it to mind.

Oh wow Nora!! This sounds really interesting, and I've never heard of it...lowrd knows I'm old enough to be "old timey".....:LOL: My mom has been gone many years and she loved tomato aspic.....she used a shortcut of using half tomato juice and half Snappy Tom, but I like your suggestions for a clear aspic. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom