What can I make with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

.lavieenrose.

Assistant Cook
Left over chicken broth?

I have about half (maybe a bit more) a carton of chicken broth, I'd like to use it up before it goes bad but I'm not too sure what to make with it. I've already made soup so I was wondering if any of you have seen and/or have recipes that use chicken broth in unique ways.

Not unique, but you can always turn it into gravy. Sometimes a little gravy is nice to have on hand for a comfort type meal without all the trimmings. Put it on an open faced sandwich, some french fries, make yourself some mashed potatoes and you've already got the gravy, or some rice. It even jazzes up a breakfast to put it over your home fries and/or scrambled eggs.
Can't go wrong with gravy.

If I'm trying to make mashed potatoes in a more calorie conscious way, I'll sub chicken broth for the milk.

I also cook my couscous in chicken broth.

If I still don't have any clue what to do with it, I freeze it for when I need a small amount.

You can substitute chicken broth in most savory recipes that call for water. I use it for the above-mentioned dishes, as well as turkey/chicken dressing, soups, etc. :cool:

If in doubt, freeze it. I usually have several containers of stock. When I have enough, I make a pot of beans with the stock.

Wow some of these I didn't even think of! I'm going to have to make some rice using it, sounds so yummy.

Wow some of these I didn't even think of! I'm going to have to make some rice using it, sounds so yummy.

Here's a simple recipe for a basic rice pilaf. If you don't have two cups of broth, you can add a little water or adjust the amounts of the other ingredients.

Pilaf

1 C Rice, long grain
4 Tb Butter
2 Nests of Angel Hair Pasta
2 C Chicken broth

Thoroughly rinse and drain the rice.

Melt the butter in a 2-quart pan. Crumble the pasta nests into the butter. Brown the pasta in the butter. The butter and the noodles should turn a fairly dark brown (more than golden brown but less than burned). It is the browning of the butter and noodles that really gives the pilaf its flavor.

Add the rice and cook over medium to medium low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 25 minutes. Don't open the pan to look or stir.

At the end of the cooking time, turn off the burner, mix the pilaf and let it rest in the pan (covered) for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom