Beer can chicken...what beer to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelfan

Assistant Cook
Hey all, I love grilling and anything to do with whole chickens. I'm entered in an informal "beer can chicken" competition tomorrow (grilling a whole chicken with a beer can in the cavity). I know my cooking technique (made several before) but am trying to think of a good beer varietal to put inside my bird that will work with my rub.

It's North African and gets its flavor primarily from dried red hot chiles, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds and garlic. Anybody have a good idea for a type of beer (remember, has to be canned) or another canned beverage that would complement and enhance the flavors?

How about a Canadian? I'd suggest something like a Pilsner, but doubt you can get that down there.

Keep in kind it does not have to be canned beer. You can bring an empty can with you and pour a bottle beer into it if you find one that you want to use.

For me, I find the flavor differences so minor in this kind of recipe that I would not notice different kinds of beer used.

I would agree with GB...however, if you want to use a beer/ale with a high hop rate such as an IPA, it might impart a trace of bitterness. I would save that beer for the cook and use a beer with somewhat less character for the chicken. As always, this is just MHO.

I've personally found absolutely no difference what liquid was used in the beer can. Most of the liquid remains in the can at the end of the cook anyway. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
In fact, I couldn't tell the difference among the couple or three different cooking methods I've used. I like the look of the finished chicken on the rotisserie. But that's just me.
YMMV.

Last edited:
I wonder if one could put beer in a drip pan, use a rack to hold the chicken and get some good flavor that way.

I put hard cider in the drip pan for brats and there is a definite apple flavor there.

Might be time to do my own experiment!

Andy M. said:
This topic came up a while ago. I did some reading and found several sites that conducted tests to determine whether beer can chicken actually tasted different/better than other.

Here is one link where you can read test methods and results and decide for yourself. Beer Can Chicken, Myth or Fact? -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

You can google for others.

After reading that very article I wondered about it and made mental notes on the chickens I've done since.

Hmmm. Interesting read, Andy. I like the way the can postions the birs so all of the skin gets crispy, so I will still cook this way. But next time, I will drink all of the beer this time instead of half and just use the can as a stand.

I wonder if one could put beer in a drip pan, use a rack to hold the chicken and get some good flavor that way.

I put hard cider in the drip pan for brats and there is a definite apple flavor there.

Great idea, Frank. I can't grill, but I do have a roaster with a flat rack. I could spatchcock a chicken and cook it over the beer or even use chicken pieces.

The first BCC rack that I had said to add a little liquid to the drip pan. I found that the skin did not crisp as well as leaving the drip pan dry.

I never noticed any flavor difference between beers either, but I notice a difference between using beer and using pop. I prefer white pop like Sprite or 7 Up. I'll bet that would enhance the chilies.

Hmmm. Interesting read, Andy. I like the way the can postions the birs so all of the skin gets crispy, so I will still cook this way. But next time, I will drink all of the beer this time instead of half and just use the can as a stand.

That's the only redeeming quality of the contraption...the positioning of the chicken.
The rest of it is a complete waste of time and resources...Drink all of the beer and fill the can with tap water for weight.

Fun!

Carling Black Label... there's a beer I haven't heard of in years.

Once upon a time, when I was a youth, Carling Black Label was an American beer brewed in Massachusetts and possibly other US locations.

Once upon a time, when I was a youth, Carling Black Label was an American beer brewed in Massachusetts and possibly other US locations.

Lol! Justed checked the origin, seems it's a Canadian beer brewed in Australia. Looks like someone stole someone idea somewhere :) Wonder if all the Black Lables taste the same?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom