Rock Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
I have a question for those who are familiar with "rock crab". I've never tried it before, but here in Florida, in the USA, it's about half the cost of the "Snow Crab" that is common.

My question is; what do you do with it and how is it eaten usually? I can see that each cluster is much smaller and compact than snow crab is, but do you eat it the same way? Does it taste similar to snow crab?

I'm interested, because I love the snow crab, but can't afford to eat it very often due to the price per/pound being 7-10 dollars. That's more than most of my food costs.

Thanks for any help offered!

Maybe someone in your area will have to help you. We have rock crab here in Nanaimo, BC Canada and I caught some one day. To me, I find it doesn't have much taste to it compared to the dungeness and king crab we get out here. I see there are quite a few recipes in the internet made with rock crab.

Tim does it look like this one, I looked on the internet and the pics for a Rock Crab looked the same DSCF0160.jpg

I'm not an expert on crab by any means! But I have had rock crab a few times. My brother cooked it, just boiled and served with garlic and lemon butter and crisp baguettes :) Delicious!

Tim does it look like this one, I looked on the internet and the pics for a Rock Crab looked the sameView attachment 11476

Hi Bolas De Fraile, it's good to meet you. The rock crab is sold here as only clusters. The main body of the crab is no longer there, so I have no idea what it looked like when whole. The clusters are about half the size of those which are harvested from Blue Crab or Snow Crab. WAY smaller than King Crab. They are sold already cooked, as are the other types sold here. The only live crab I've eaten are Blue Crab that I have caught myself here. They are delicous, but I no longer go to catch them.

I think I will try these by heating them and picking them as I do when I eat Blue Crab. It looks as though it may be the same, only with tighter clusters.

Thank you for helping!

I'm not an expert on crab by any means! But I have had rock crab a few times. My brother cooked it, just boiled and served with garlic and lemon butter and crisp baguettes :) Delicious!
I am only an expert at eating crab meat! haha

I've never used garlic in the butter served with crab! It sounds like it would taste very good. I think I'll try that as well! How much garlic to how much butter do you prefer to use?

I love to pick the Blue Crab meat from the clusters and then mix it into a fresh salad with tomatoes, carrots and cucumber. Topped with a drizzle of warmed butter, it is a salad to remember!

I'm going to buy some of the rock crab today and try it this evening after it thaws from being frozen. I eat it cold usually, because it has already been cooked and frozen. I've found that it is better to just thaw it in cold water and then use it on a salad or in a cream sauce served over freshly toasted muffins.

This will be an adventure! I'll report back after having my belly filled with yummy!

I am only an expert at eating crab meat! haha

I've never used garlic in the butter served with crab! It sounds like it would taste very good. I think I'll try that as well! How much garlic to how much butter do you prefer to use?

I love to pick the Blue Crab meat from the clusters and then mix it into a fresh salad with tomatoes, carrots and cucumber. Topped with a drizzle of warmed butter, it is a salad to remember!

I'm going to buy some of the rock crab today and try it this evening after it thaws from being frozen. I eat it cold usually, because it has already been cooked and frozen. I've found that it is better to just thaw it in cold water and then use it on a salad or in a cream sauce served over freshly toasted muffins.

This will be an adventure! I'll report back after having my belly filled with yummy!

I use 2 crushed cloves for every 100 grams of butter roughly and the juice of one lemon :) We eat most fish with this and sometimes add chilies :)

Hi Bolas De Fraile, it's good to meet you. The rock crab is sold here as only clusters. The main body of the crab is no longer there, so I have no idea what it looked like when whole. The clusters are about half the size of those which are harvested from Blue Crab or Snow Crab. WAY smaller than King Crab. They are sold already cooked, as are the other types sold here. The only live crab I've eaten are Blue Crab that I have caught myself here. They are delicous, but I no longer go to catch them.

I think I will try these by heating them and picking them as I do when I eat Blue Crab. It looks as though it may be the same, only with tighter clusters.

Thank you for helping!

Usually one of the pichers is taken off and the crab are put back into the ocean.

How'd it go, Timothy?

I'm taken back to a time when I lived along the northern California coast... a working musician friend of mine would call me on any weekend nights off, and we'd be up half the night dockside with our crab traps, trading harmonica riffs. As long as they had a pair, we'd snip one pincer to put on ice and toss all the rock crabs back. The biggest one of the night, I'd keep to boil or steam whole. If a legal dungeness ever fell for one of our traps though, we would dual each other with a couple 12-bar solos. Sometimes, he'd even concede me winner of the crustacean out of pity.

The frozen rock crabs we get at our local market are all claws. They're okay, but I prefer clusters of snow.

Last edited:
Usually one of the pichers is taken off and the crab are put back into the ocean.

Here, they do that by law with only "Stone Crab". "Rock Crab" and "Stone Crab" are two different kinds however. Stone Crab have one tiny claw that is left on the crab and one claw that looks like it's from a prehistoric monster. The only part that can be legally eaten from a Stone Crab is the large claw. It grows back.

How'd it go, Timothy?

I'm taken back to a time when I lived along the northern California coast... a working musician friend of mine would call me on any weekend nights off, and we'd be up half the night dockside with our crab traps, trading harmonica riffs. As long as they had a pair, we'd snip one pincer to put on ice and toss all the rock crabs back. The biggest one of the night, I'd keep to boil or steam whole. If a legal dungeness ever fell for one of our traps though, we would dual each other with a couple 12-bar solos. Sometimes, he'd even concede me winner of the crustacean out of pity.

The frozen rock crabs we get at our local market are all claws. They're okay, but I prefer clusters of snow.
I got side-tracked last night and actually ended up stopping at a Burger King and eating a nasty burger! Ha! Shame on me! I was showing my two websites to some folks and got tied up until much later than I intended. It was a friendly meeting with drinks...too many drinks..., and the time just slid away. I'm going to pick up some Rock Crabs this evening and eat them! I'll let you know how they turn out!

(My sites are a Hydroponic vegetable gardening site and a Florida Interest site. I'm not going to put the links here as that would be like spamming. PM me if you'd like to visit them sometime.)

OK I would the gently crack the shell of the claws, heat some oil in a wok fry some ginger then garlic add some yellow bean paste fry till it smells good , add the claws and fry, add chicken stock,rice wine,soy sauce, sliced chili, tomato sauce, fish sauce, sugar and quartered toms, cook for about 5 mins, add a bit of corn starch if the sauce is thin:)

OK I would the gently crack the shell of the claws, heat some oil in a wok fry some ginger then garlic add some yellow bean paste fry till it smells good , add the claws and fry, add chicken stock,rice wine,soy sauce, sliced chili, tomato sauce, fish sauce, sugar and quartered toms, cook for about 5 mins, add a bit of corn starch if the sauce is thin:)

Holy Cooked Crab-meat Batman! That sounds really good! I've never used bean paste. Do you make it or buy it? Maybe serve this over rice? Man oh man, you made my mouth water!

Back
Top Bottom