Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Elderly baby carrots (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/elderly-baby-carrots-73587.html)

Dawgluver 07-14-2011 05:06 PM

Elderly baby carrots
 
I found a package of baby carrots in the fridge that I should have "used by June 6". They were well sealed, taste fine, and have no mold. I plan on roasting them with some (fresh) cauliflower. Should be OK, si?

Zhizara 07-14-2011 05:17 PM

I would think so. Root vegetables can be stored to last all winter.

Dawgluver 07-14-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhizara
I would think so. Root vegetables can be stored to last all winter.

Good point, Zhizara. Thanks!

Zhizara 07-14-2011 05:23 PM

You're welcome!

jennyema 07-14-2011 06:56 PM

Baby carrots tell you when they're bad. They'll be slimy or moldy or just generally look really bad.

Dawgluver 07-14-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyema
Baby carrots tell you when they're bad. They'll be slimy or moldy or just generally look really bad.

I went ahead and roasted them. They turned out fine! They looked a bit dried out initially out of the package, but no mold or slime.

I usually freeze veg before the use by date, missed 'em.

PattY1 07-14-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1023411)
I found a package of baby carrots in the fridge that I should have "used by June 6". They were well sealed, taste fine, and have no mold. I plan on roasting them with some (fresh) cauliflower. Should be OK, si?


I just go by the old fashion way, before dated food. If it looks ok, smells ok, eat it!:chef:

babetoo 07-15-2011 08:02 PM

i'd eat them!!

Dawgluver 07-15-2011 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babetoo
i'd eat them!!

I roasted them with the cauliflower, they were fine. Tonight I pureed them into a soup, along with some Greek yogurt and a smidge of Velveeta, nutmeg, shallots, and red pepper flakes. It was quite good, kinda tasted like pumpkin soup.

Kayelle 07-16-2011 10:37 AM

:lol:"Elderly baby carrots"........


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.