Skilpadtjies (Lambs liver in caul fat)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
A South African favourite :)

Caul fat to wrap
1kg lambs liver (cleaned)
2 lamb kidneys
2 small onion finely chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tsps sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh, stalk removed
50ml brown vinegar
50ml W/sauce

Soak liver in milk, drain and chop with kidneys as fine as possible. (You can also do this in a meat grinder) Mix well with all of the ingredients apart from the caul fat. Shape mixture into balls, wrap each balls securely in caul fat.
Place balls on a tray and cover with cling film. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up. Grill on the BBQ till golden outside but still moist in the middle brushing a bit of melted butter on during cooking or fry in a mix of olive oil and butter.
Enjoy as is or with warm tomato and onion relish.

Snip mate thank you I will give it a go, my problem here is getting caul, I will try wrapping them in bacon.
Ps google Lancashire Faggots.

Snip mate thank you I will give it a go, my problem here is getting caul, I will try wrapping them in bacon.
Ps google Lancashire Faggots.

It's my pleasure :) I'll be making your scrummy pork pie this weekend, trotters arrived today! Do try and find caul if you can, would love for you to try it the SA way. We eat ours with tomato and onion relish and pap (do you get maizemeal there by you?)

I will visit the butcher on Saturday, yes we do have it here its called Corn Flour, Semolina or Polenta as well as other names.
Is pap like mealie porridge if so mealie with cheese and fritters is lekker.

I will visit the butcher on Saturday, yes we do have it here its called Corn Flour, Semolina or Polenta as well as other names.
Is pap like mealie porridge if so mealie with cheese and fritters is lekker.

You should try it with pap then, it's just white polenta. We cook it to a firm consistancy (so that you can make bite size balls with your fingers to dip into the tomato and onion relish!)

How we do it:

Bring half a pot of water to the boil (cast iron pot with lid if you have one), add 1 good tsp of salt, slowly whisk in the corn meal until it becomes like a thick porridge. Make a well in the center, fill the hole with boiling water and cover with lid. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Let it steam like this for 30 mins then mix the water in the center into the rest of the pap. Allow to cook for 30mins more. Add a good dollop of butter. When the pap is cooked it will smell like corn, if not cook longer.
Serve with the relish and Skilpadtjies (afrikaans for turtles) we call them skilpadtjies because the liver covered in caul looks like a turtle shell when cooked.
P.S I've eaten faggots, love them!

Back
Top Bottom