For the love of cheese :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
For all the cheese lovers on DC :) What are your favourite cheeses and ways you like to enjoy them?
I'll go first to get the ball rolling.

Camembert- Baked and served with whole fig preserve or cranberry jelly and toasted baguette slices.

Stinking Bishop Cheese- Served at room temperature with lightly salted crackers or melba toast.

Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella- Served with homemade pesto and slices of ripe Israeli Tomatoes or beef steak tomatoes. Sometimes I egg and crumb the mozza balls and deep fry them :)

Pont Gar Soft Blue Cheese- Served on blinis with capers (in brine, not salted)

Sharp mature cheddar- Served with pickled dill cucumbers and crusty bread and butter.

Chunky cottage cheese- Served on rice cakes with youngberry jam

Extra Sharp Cheddar, either hand sliced and simply snacked, or shredded and mixed with mozzarella for pizzas or quesadillas.

Strong Imported Swiss Cheese. None of this mild baby Swiss nonsense. I prefer it on a club cracker with deli-shaved ham.

Goat Cheese crumbled into a salad.

Extra Sharp Cheddar, either hand sliced and simply snacked, or shredded and mixed with mozzarella for pizzas or quesadillas.

Strong Imported Swiss Cheese. None of this mild baby Swiss nonsense. I prefer it on a club cracker with deli-shaved ham.

Goat Cheese crumbled into a salad.

Got a brand name for that Swiss Cheese? I would love to try some :)

I buy it at the deli counter and refer to it only as "imported Swiss," they bag it with only a price label on it, but the next time I go, I'll ask for the brand.

I like mild/semi-soft cheeses. Gruyere and Muenster are my favorites. They both are great just sliced and melt well too.

Got a brand name for that Swiss Cheese? I would love to try some :)

I'd like the brand name too. I love Swiss cheese, but lately it all tastes blah.

In Florida, at a meat market I'd get Swiss that was so strong it had to be used sparingly. I'd love to find it again, or a satisfactory substitute.:chef:

Oh, where to begin. I love cheese.

High quality cheddar snacked on by itself, with wheat crackers, with fruit, on sandwiches, in a cheese sauce for veggies, or on salads.

Cottage cheese with black pepper or fruit.

Muenster on grilled cheese sandwiches and hot subs.

Blue cheese in salads, with fruit, in a sauce for steak, chicken or grilled portabellas.

Parmesan in tomato based sauces, meat balls, salads or just sliced and snacked on.

Asiago in salads, sprinkled into shrimp and garlic butter as the shrimp is cooking (these shrimp are great as a topping for steaks), baked into crusty breads, sprinkled onto steaks seasoned with oregano.

Havarti by itself, with crackers, with fruit, with ultra dark chocolate, with graham crackers (graham crackers topped with sliced strawberries and havarti are amazing).

Jack cheese by itself, with crackers, in macaroni and cheese, in quesadillas, melted with milk and jalapenos and drizzled over tortilla chips.

Idiazabal in spanish rice or spicy black beans.

Aged gouda by itself or with wheat crackers.

Oh, where to begin. I love cheese.

High quality cheddar snacked on by itself, with wheat crackers, with fruit, on sandwiches, in a cheese sauce for veggies, or on salads.

Cottage cheese with black pepper or fruit.

Muenster on grilled cheese sandwiches and hot subs.

Blue cheese in salads, with fruit, in a sauce for steak, chicken or grilled portabellas.

Parmesan in tomato based sauces, meat balls, salads or just sliced and snacked on.

Asiago in salads, sprinkled into shrimp and garlic butter as the shrimp is cooking (these shrimp are great as a topping for steaks), baked into crusty breads, sprinkled onto steaks seasoned with oregano.

Havarti by itself, with crackers, with fruit, with ultra dark chocolate, with graham crackers (graham crackers topped with sliced strawberries and havarti are amazing).

Jack cheese by itself, with crackers, in macaroni and cheese, in quesadillas, melted with milk and jalapenos and drizzled over tortilla chips.

Idiazabal in spanish rice or spicy black beans.

Aged gouda by itself or with wheat crackers.

Haven't had havarti in years :( I lived in Barcelona 11 yrs ago and that was my favourite cheese there :) Only seen in SA once sadly!

Cotswold with a slice of tomato and bacon on a warm crispy hunk of fried bread (Very English)
Champignon on a baguette
Caerphilly anyway I can get it
most any blue most any way

Cheese. What's not to like? It's just milk gone off!

Being a hard-core cheeselover, I have a list of cheeses & comments back on my old computer that need to be transferred by dear hubby to my new computer. But off the top of my point little head:

Brie - While of course I enjoy the imported brands, our local Wegmans offers a wonderful Brie packaged by wedge under their own name & in 3 different scales of ripeness - "mild", "buttery", "earthy". "Buttery" & "Earthy" are my two favorites, & spreading their wonderful ooziness on a "Stoned Wheat Thin" cracker is a true pleasure.

Any Blue - from Gorgonzola (dolce is my favorite) to Maytag, tossed into salads or served with perfectly ripe sliced pears & a glass of ruby port.

Gruyere - sliced with crackers, used in any number of sauces, or allowed to show itself in a delicious wine-spiked fondue.

Hot Pepper Cheese - yes, yes, I know it's "processed", but sometimes I really do get a hankering for heat-spiked cheese, & we have quite a few very good brands available around here. On crackers or melted into natchos - sometimes it just really hits the spot.

Feta - while I frequently buy the supermarket types, I also frequently splurge & order the real barrel-aged stuff, to which the supermarket brands can't compare. Tossed into salads, into sauteed spinach, into Spanokopeta, Greek shrimp dishes, etc., etc. I LOVE feta.

Goat Cheeses - have yet to meet one I haven't loved. From aged Gouda types to the soft & creamy ones that are perfect for stuffing into chicken breasts.

There are dozens of others, but these are the ones most often found in my fridge.

Nearly forgot to say mini Babybel :) Love them as but left out to soften slightly, I hate cheese straight from the fridge!

Goats milk feta- Baked with olive oil, calamata olives, caramelised onion and a slice of tomato in a foil parcel for 30 mins and served with butter naan :)

Treasure Cave bleu, gruyere, brie, extra sharp cheddar, Hoffman's super hot pepperjack.

Now I hafta go raid the fridge...

The problem I have with cheeses is that...I pretty like them all, from mild soft cheeses to ultra-stinky! When traveling through countries like Italy, France, England, have always enjoyed sampling what's on offer locally, as most of them never travel beyond town limits.
Specifically for a quick snack, love smoked gouda on a toasted English muffin.

Last edited:
The problem I have with cheeses is that...I pretty like them all, from mild soft cheeses to ultra-stinky! When traveling throught countries like Italy, France, England, have always enjoyed sampling what's on offer locally, as most of them never travel beyond town limits.
Specifically for a quick snack, love smoked gouda on a toasted English muffin.

I'm a bit obsessed with cheese! I traveled the entire Cape Town wine route and just to have the cheeses on offer and the Vinyards..lol!

Oh goodness - how could I have forgotten one of my all-time from-childhood favorites - Limburger Cheese (the REAL stuff, not that nauseating processed spread that some supermarkets sell) with thinly sliced raw onion on white bread.

My dad thought we were crazy, but this was one of my mom's & my favorite sandwiches. Back when Liederkranz was still in existence, we used that too.

Oh and 2 more!

Butterkase - with baguettes and a pint of Guinness
Paneer - seasoned with salt and cracked black pepper, fried till golden and dipped in sweet chili sauce

Blue cheese, especially smoked!
Extra sharp cheddar
Goat cheese, from young to medium to aged - (Bucheron is a great aged one)
Heini's Sundried Tomato and Garlic yogurt cheese
Parrano
Imported Swiss
And last, but definitely not least, Parmigiano Reggiano.
Plus, I just discovered the only domestic parmesan I've ever liked, and it's Sarvecchio - it's fantastic - nice and pungent!
http://www.shopsartori.com/sapa.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom