Help smoke a corned beef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was planning on smoking a store bought corned beef, and having no time to do research on the particulars i hoped someone could help me here.

i have a vacuum sealed flat cut corned beef (that is supposed to be cooked in water), but i thought i'd smoke it in my vertical gas smoker as a change of pace.

i was planning in grinding the little spice packet that is enclosed with it and rubbing it into the meat, then putting it in the smoker using apple and hickory.

anyone know how long i should smoke it, and at what temp?

would the final product be considered a pastrami, or just a smoked, brined brisket?

tia. :chef:

Well I just happen to be smoking a corned beef this very minute :)
There's a little info here from a while back.

From everything I read and then concluded, smoke it to 165F at low temps, 200-225. Lots of smoke in the beginning and mild wood. Wrap it and let it rest for a couple hours when through Qing. Cool it and slice thin.
I'm at 157 right now and I put it on close to 10:00 this morning, It stalled at 145 for about 2 hours.
I through the packet of stuff away and am using maple wood. My rub is in the thread.

Oh, ETA, Soak in cold water for six hours, changing the water every two before starting.

Dang Bucky. That one smoked up quick. It was done about an hour ago. The first one stalled twice and needed foiled, this one cruised right up to my target temp without foil, though I did increase my temp from hovering around 210 up to 225 for an hour.

thanks very much, pac and jpb.

i didn't get to it yesterday. hopefully tomorrow. will post results. :chef:

i just took it out of the fridge and am going to set up the smoker now.

will post pics tonight.

darn, as i was setting things up, i realized that i never soaked the corned beef. so it's getting a 2 hour soak (i just changed the water after the first hour, will change again in a half hour), then it's getting rubbed with the spice packet that's been ground with some additiinal pickling spices, and smoked over hickory and apple. i'll have about 5 hours of smoking time before i have to head into work, so hopefully it won't take that long.

Details please, when you're done, BT. I might give this a try. I have a cryovac corned beef in the freezer.

sure thing, andy.

unfortunately, my method's gonna vary from pac's in that just as i was about to put the meat into the smoker, the gas ran out. i should have checked the gauge first.

so, it was soaked for almost 3 hours with 3 changes of water, rubbed with the ground up spice packet plus a little extra pickling spice, then wrapped in plastic and put back in the fridge.

tomorrow afternoon when i wake up, i'll fill the lp tank and start the smoking. pics and description tomorrow night.

That's probably just as well, Bucky, because I think you're going to need more than five hours if you are taking it the whole way in the smoker.

Okay--I want a smoker. I have an engineer <g> who can fabricate just about anything you can think of--he's doing some sort of prototype for treating cancer patients right now--he can work with any metal you'd like...if you can describe it, he can make it. I haven't searched on the web--but wanted to know, if you could have your "dream" smoker custom made, what would the specs be? I want to smoke a 20# turkey, ribs, etc.

so, i unwrapped the rubbed corned beef and popped it in the gas smoker at 220, with the smoke just starting up:

img_1026049_0_8fed6e6f0b2ea5521ef3345efb0d1633.jpg

smoked it for 6 hours at 220:

img_1026049_1_a30c80b28cbbd37036e695de819a8ca2.jpg

then raised the temp to 240 for 2 more hours. so, after a total of 8 hours, i took it out when the meat reached 160.

img_1026049_2_055e9267b84a7c524b67296c7bb4226f.jpg

img_1026049_3_329f905df953e7d7f220d6bbd08eb5a3.jpg

it's in the fridge chilling for the night. pics of is sliced tomorrow.

i have to say, i amazed that the whole fat cap all but dissappeared!

Last edited:
Looking good. Yours did have quite a bit more fat on it that the ones I have boughten. I'm curious how it compares.
And from what I have read, the sliced pastrami is good for a week in the fridge.

it won't last a week. :pig:

it was fantastic! best pastrami i've ever had in my life, even beating the carnegie deli, and katz's.

it was really juicy and tender, and if you sliced off the fat cap, very lean. it was so tender you could cut it with a fork, but it wasn't falling apart.

img_1026603_0_1f19f3b4bb20eceec711fb6ee74b3af5.jpg

and here was dinner tonight. pastrami, mashed spuds, and fresh rye from the polish bakery. (and a salad of peppers, snow peas, and tomatoes from the garden too, not pictured). this was my plate, so i cut thicker slices for myself that still were fork-cutable.

img_1026603_1_c665a1dd9d334edff73497b68d894f77.jpg

thanks very much for your help, pac. it was a great success. i will definitely be doing this one again. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom