Can you make a mac & cheese sauce without flour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
Its processed cheese. Swiss, cheddar and something else all blended into a loaf of deliciousness. However, you either love it or hate it. Haters can be pretty intense about it.

Cheesy nectar of the gods...maybe similar to what you might call American cheese, or Cheez Whiz, Snip.

Last edited:
Its processed cheese. Swiss, cheddar and something else all blended into a loaf of deliciousness. However, you either love it or hate it. Haters can be pretty intense about it.

I haven't found a processed cheese I like yet but I'll try it if I can find it :)
Might be good for sandwiches for kid lunchboxes if I don't enjoy it.
We have Kraft Products so maybe someone stocks it.

You can always order some Snip. Shipping charges shouldn't be too bad because no refrigeration required, lol. They sell it right on the shelves here.

You can always order some Snip. Shipping charges shouldn't be too bad because no refrigeration required, lol. They sell it right on the shelves here.

Could be why I've never seen it, don't usually look for cheese on the shelf..lol! Unless it's for that laughing cow nonsense my kids ask for!

I think the first time I bought Velveeta was last year. Until then, I didn't realize it wasn't in the refrigerated section either :blink:

Modern Mararoni and Cheese (Bon Appetit Apr. 1989)

1 1/2 cups dried tubular pasta
2 Medium carrots, peeled, cut diagonally 1/8 to 1/4 inch
5 oz brocolli, stems peeled and dices, florets separated
1/4 lb zucchini trimmed and diced
1/2 cup frozen peas

1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce such as Tobadco
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, coarsley shredded
4 oz part skim mozzarella, coarsley shredded
1 Tbps freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta in large saucepan of boiling salted water 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 2 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta and vegetables to saucepan. Add zucchini and peas.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly butter 1 1/2 quart souffle dish or 4x6 inch casserole. Blend cottage cheese with reserved pasta cooking liquid, mustard and hot pepper sauce in processor until smooth. Stir into pasta and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Transfer to prepared dish. Sprinke with Parmesan cheese. (can be perpared 2 days ahead. cover and refrigerate.) Bake until top begins to brown, about 20 minutes.

I have been using this recipe for years and I love it. I also love tomatoes in my Mac and Cheese, so I leave out the vegetables and substitute a 15 oz can of tomatoes and I use the tomato juice in place of the pasta cooking liquid. For the pasta I use ziti with lines since the sauce seems to stick better. I also usually double everything.

To be honest I have found that people who like tons of cheese aren't really fond of this recipe, but for people who like to make yummy Mac and Cheese a little bit healthier or are watching their weight this seems to be an answer.

Not exactly

MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

Bigjim68 said:
Not exactly

MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.

Yum! All my favorite ingredients!

Cheesy nectar of the gods...maybe similar to what you might call American cheese, or Cheez Whiz, Snip.

Oh ok, doesn't sound that good to me. I can't even manage the slices of processed cheese they put on Mc. Donalds burgers. Then again I don't like the burgers either..lol! Luckily Botswana declined the offer of getting Mc.D's here so the kids just get it when we visit family in SA. When we do go I just eat the chicken nuggets with dip and the skinny fries are ok :)

I think the first time I bought Velveeta was last year. Until then, I didn't realize it wasn't in the refrigerated section either :blink:

Its not the same in the US as it is in Canada. Ours IS in the refrigerated section.

Not exactly

Again, that's the US variety. The Canadian version is "Made from Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Swiss Cheeses" Our ingredient list is different as well. Similar, but not the same.

Alix said:
Its not the same in the US as it is in Canada. Ours IS in the refrigerated section.

Again, that's the US variety. The Canadian version is "Made from Cheddar, Mozzarella, and Swiss Cheeses" Our ingredient list is different as well. Similar, but not the same.

Hmm. Did not know that. We usually get the low fat Velveeta, which probably has a few additional ingredients. Love it anyway.

Well what the hey :ohmy:
I want the Canadian version!

Are you talking about this product?
Kraft Three Cheese Blend Grated Cheese Topping (8 oz.)
01699CF00021000016990.gif
This is Moz, Swiss, and Cheddar. This is found in US as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No BigJim...see my post #20 in this thread. I mean Velveeta. I have no clue what that other stuff is but it looks interesting.

Went to the Kraft Canada web site. Found this. I would never have dreamed that Velveeta in Canada is made with actual cheese. Wish we could get it here.
Velveeta cheese product has been helping Canadians make the cheesiest, most delicious meals for over 25 years! It’s great for melting, either plain on toast or as part of your family’s favourite meals. And you can feel good about serving Velveeta to your family - it’s made from a blend of three cheeses – Cheddar, Mozarella, and Swiss. The best part? Velveeta has 50% less fat than Cheddar cheese!

Its scary yummy. And pretty killer melted with salsa served with chips.

I gotta say, I'm a little puzzled by why so many Kraft products are different in Canada. Cheez Whiz is different too. My sister would have us bring her jars of it when she lived in NJ. And Kraft Dinner is apparently different too. OH CRAP, I just remembered I was supposed to send Andy a box of it to compare. SORRY ANDY! I sent one and it went astray somewhere (another Canada Post reference). I'll send one this week!

Back
Top Bottom